Skip to main content

Economic Depression and HB225 Update

Co-workers are being fired left and right. The economic depression is really hitting us and it became real today when I went to the break room to make a sandwich and my co-worker was in tears. She had just been fired. No warning. She just came in and, next thing she knows, she doesn't have a job.

An entire web of people were fired today. Some on my team, people I've been working with every day for the past few years. There's obvious tension in the air. I see the look of concern on everyone's faces. Most conversations are permeated with fear and tension, having no idea what to expect tomorrow or the day after. I feel a lot of sympathy for everyone who walked in today to discover they don't have a job and a lot of anxiety for the rest of us who are still here.

For my own situation I'd gone most of my life not feeling too much anxiety over the prospect of ever losing a job. Then again, I've never been a working adult during an economic depression, and I don't have children or other circumstances that would make it too horrible. Yet, now that I've begun transitioning and utilizing my insurance benefits, I am feeling anxiety.

It's one thing to make money in order to pay rent, bills, and take care of yourself and any dependents. That is incredibly important and scary enough - but it's an additional concern to have to rely on a job for access to insurance. For medicine, for checkups, for health, for therapy. It wasn't until this job that I had insurance and, without it, options become so severely limited. Going in for a simple breast exam, for example, would've cost hundreds of dollars versus a $20 co-pay. And, as it is right now, I want to transition in the best, safest way possible. Without insurance, that could prove difficult. It wouldn't stop my transition, but it would definitely complicate things and generate a lot of anxiety.

I hear similar reports from most everyone I know. Another friend, for example, told me that people are getting fired left and right from her work also and just announced that they are moving an entire department to another state (and that the people who currently work in that department are welcome to transfer, but have to figure out how to pay their own moving expenses).

It's really scary, actually. And sad. I hope that everything works out for my co-worker and everyone else who's feeling the brunt of the depression thanks to good ol' Bush's 8-year economic wonderfuck. At least the minority economically elite in our country don't have anything to worry about. A friend of mine who is an auto-mechanic at an Audi dealership, for example, is VERY busy at work. Yay!

Update: More lay offs. This is really brutal. My really sweet co-worker who would bring adorable little vegan lunches in and sits right next to me just got called in. One of the IT guys is in here currently dismantling her computer and cleaning out her space. In addition, my boss just called a mandatory status meeting and noted, "the rest of us can be grateful we are not directly affected at this time. Enjoy your lunch as best you can."

p.s. On a very uplifting note Equality Utah just had a conversation with Rep. Wimmer and he has decided to let HB225 (the anti trans bill) die in committee! Apparently Wimmer has received a lot of feedback on it and said that he no longer wants to run it. Everyone is still keeping an eye on the bill to make sure he follows through, but I'm really excited. This is a very uplifting turn of events politically!

Comments

  1. Ewww, I hate it when employers say things like, "Just be glad you have your job!" It's a veiled threat, in my opinion, and just plain insulting and insensitive to say. Even I cried after being fired, although it was more due to the fact that I was going to miss my co-workers. The job itself was soul-sucking, and I feel better now than I have felt for the past year or so. Although the tension of figuring out how to pay rent is growing with each passing day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As much as the labor situation sucks, I'm glad to hear that you're rights will not be compromised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boyd: It's definitely a really anxiety-inducing whirlwind, especially with firing so many people out of the blue, all in one day. There have been so many tears today I just feel unmotivated and solemn. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom worked for Circuit City, up until they fired EVERYONE. She's currently on 60 days of severance pay, as she searches for a way to pay her mortgage and feed the last two of her children still living with her (I have three younger sisters). She just got a job offer, but that'd mean she'd be moving to Austin, Texas.

    If she did move, it could mean that my wife and I get a house out of it, but I'm not sure we can afford it (the mortgage payments are about the same as our rent, but we pay much less in utilities).

    ReplyDelete
  5. See we need to create our social website combo program. Then we can employee our friends with the riches we earn.

    I also think if you, Boyd and myself combined efforts we would have a kick ass documentary. I really do, even if we don't go with my kick ass ending.

    Was P diddy the cute co worker you sit by who lost their job?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kegg: No, P-Diddy is still here. She sits by me also, but it was another co-worker of mine who's super sweet n' cute. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad, I am sorry losing co workers can be depressing. Especially when you lose the cute supportive ones!

    On a very unrelated note that I am sure you will not find as amusing. My word verification word for this comment is... WEEDINAL! Sounds like a weed arsenal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!