Skip to main content

Day 29: Injection Day + Potential Voice Cracking

Oh boy! So either I'm getting a cold OR my voice has started to crack. I'm err'ing on the latter, seeing as I have no other cold symptoms.

Maybe I'm finally growing up and becoming a big boy!



WikiHow has an article called How to Prevent Your Voice from Cracking, which offers the following, very helpful advice:
1. Get past the age of puberty. Everything's so weird and embarrassing, with the extra hair growth and the voice changes. Give it a couple of years, it'll peter out eventually. Your voice will even out too!
Thanks, WikiHow!

It's a little tragic, but also comforting, that I've entirely adapted to being a greasy, acne-ridden, bad smelling individual. Now it feels normal to squirt oodles of white pimple goo all over the bathroom mirror every night and I no longer notice my smell.

Life is good.

Enough about white pimps n' grease, I emailed a photo of my chest to my preferred surgeon for chest reconstruction surgery and got feedback that I'm eligible for a double incision chest surgery with nipple grafts. I'm so excited about this that it's very difficult to stay patient and save up the money. With saving up, it's going to take me approximately 2 years (assuming nothing happens, like vet bills or some crazed emergency of some sort) to afford it. And, now with all of this blinding, glaring light blazing from the end of the tunnel, I'm finding myself becoming incredibly impatient. Way too giddy.

I will do my best to resist the urge to desperately take out a personal loan just so I can get the surgery done ASAP. However, I AM going to read all of the fine print in my insurance policy to see if there's any way in hell I can get it covered. The surgeon's office told me that they do NOT work with insurance companies and that I will need to communicate with my insurance to see if they will cover a portion of my surgery. Hoping, hoping.

And to the most important part of today: IT'S INJECTION DAY! This will be my third injection - marking today 1 month (29 days) on T. I'm so excited. I had a hard time sleeping last night just thinking about it, both from a bit of anxiety in regards to self-injection and also due to looking forward to it every 2 weeks. My injection day timing has been pretty convenient thus far. Last time it was right smack on Christmas day and today it's right on a Thursday night when there are a bundle of trans-friendly events: a transgender support group, a partners of trans support group, AND Trans Action, a community advocacy trans group. After which I'll do my injection. It's a trans bonanza!

I'm planning to do my injection after the TransAction (a local trans-advocacy group) meeting, which ends at 8pm, with the support of my adorable friend, Jude, or my pops. I'm a wimp. I'm going to try.try.try to actually self-inject this time. Afterward maybe I'll celebrate with some kind of delicious injection day dinner or a horror movie, seeing as I love them horror movies.

On a personal note, I noticed some very blatant changes below the waist the other day. That's all I've gots ta say 'bout that.

"In general, the first changes noticed by most trans men upon starting T therapy are lowering of the voice, increased sex drive, and enlargement of the clitoris. These changes usually begin to happen within the first few months of hormone treatment."

Comments

  1. I get so riled up and excited when you say that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was ... a very illuminating blog post. I still deal with half the things you mentioned, and I'm nearing my 30th birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My suggestion, do vocal exercise while you are popping your zits.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCwI2GAwH3c&eurl=http://www.deeper-voice.com/an-exercise-to-make-your-voice-sound-deeper&feature=player_embedded

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it seems like I'm being funny but I'm serious. strengthening your vocal chords will help with the cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, "FargoUT" is me. Sorry, I was signed in under the wrong ID. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!