Skip to main content

Flakes and Muscle Growth

Yesterday my friend, Gina, came over to help me bury my little friend. We made him a grave by a cute tree that will be nourished with little bits of Socrates for years to come (it sounds creepy, but it's true). I placed his little body in there with my left hand, buried him, then went inside to comfort Ben.

Ben hadn't left his little house all day. He was acting frazzled and afraid, but when I held him and cupped him in my left hand, his little nose sniffed it and he instantly calmed down. Then he licked my hand for about 10 minutes, which he'd never done before.

Here's the last image of my little baby Socrates, suckling on his water bottle:



Sigh.

So today I'm back at work, although I feel like I've accomplished a double-flake-whammy. Over a month ago I promised to speak on an LGBQT panel today up at the University of Utah, the theme being "In the spirit of reducing hate and its companion - fear, we offer the stories of these panelists. By knowing the stories and faces of those whose civil rights now are being debated across America, as well as those who stand with them, we hope to contribute to a deepening of mutual understanding and respectful discourse."

Nothing was going to stop me from attending; not even my fear of public speaking!

But then I went and took two days off of work spontaneously to care for Socrates and, when I came in this morning, I was greeted with a slew of emails and project managers yelping and damage control galore. There was no way I could leave today to speak on the panel, so I had to call and cancel. Ugh.

I learned that the only other transgender person scheduled to speak (a wonderful MTF woman) had also canceled due to being sick. But, fortunately, a very active local trans feller did agree to speak on short notice, which was really relieving and helped ease my flake guilt a bit.

In other news, my body has been whining a little lately. Yesterday I woke up with an uber grumbly stomach ache. I assumed that it was due to the stress of what was happening with baby Socrates, but it got worse throughout the day and ended up feeling strikingly similar to cramps associated with that special time of the month.

Eventually I felt sick enough that it was difficult to walk and I started to perspire excessively. I stumbled into the nearest pharmacy to purchase some ibuprofen and, not too long after I gulped them down, the pain went away.

My menstrual cycle has officially ended - well, the ejection part, anyway.

Also, the muscles in my upper back have been incredibly tight and tense lately. I've never felt anything like it before. According to the The Gender Centre Inc. Fact Sheet on F.T.M. 101: The Invisible Transsexuals (PDF),

"Muscle and bone density increase is fairly rapid. However, ligaments and tendons are at risk of damage or injury because they take longer to "beef up" in correspondence with the muscle / bone increase. Any sport activity for the first two years of hormone therapy should be approached with this in mind."
Dag nabbit. See, a few weeks ago I apparently pulled some of my upper back muscles and almost literally couldn't turn my neck for a little over a week. Trying to sit up in the morning took a little, "Sitting up is the hard part." prep talk. The heating pad had become a good friend.

Then it happened again just a few days ago. Self-injury is way too easy.

I've found myself compelled to sit on the gym's massage chair almost every day, which is the single most blissful experience lately. I've also been as careful as I know how and have made sure to focus on repetition instead of weight when I work out.

Back to the uteral lining shedding shindig, also according to this Gender Centre fact sheet:

"A growing number of F.T.M.s who have been on hormones for 4 to 5 years who have not had hysterectomies, have developed intrauterine complications. These range from endometriosis to fibroid cysts, to fibrous scar tissue forming around the reproductive organs, to absorption of the organs into the abdominal muscles or even, in a couple of cases, into the intestines. The rising number of F.T.M.s who have been experiencing these complications has pushed many of us to ask for an hysterectomy earlier in our transition. Many F.T.M.s, however, do not experience these problems, and for them hysterectomy may be an unnecessary surgery. Some F.T.M.s require hysterectomy / oophorectomy for psychological reasons."

Oh boy.

Comments

  1. Have you spoken to your Dr. about your excerise routine? Do it!!!!

    I am sorry for your loss Mel. losing a furry friend is never something one should have to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kegg: I will. I'm also going to talk to her about some other things. I'll make an appointment in the next couple of weeks or so!

    Death is a necessary component of life, unfortunately. It's hard, but he went in the best way possible - covered in lots of love and affection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, I'm so sorry about your friend. But what a sweet ending - laying in your hands and covered by your love.
    Yesterday went very well. But I'm definitely going to keep you in mind next time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!