Skip to main content

R.I.P. Socrates


Where'd Socrates go? Oh look, he's in the treats!



Uh oh, he knows he's been spotted.


My little rat friend, Mr. Socrates, passed away today from old age (which, for a rat, is around 3 years). Usually his friend, Ben (a big fat brown Dumbo rat) spends his evenings bobbing for edamame and running amok in my bedroom. Last night, however, he stayed in their little house cuddling and grooming Socrates all night. He also kept him warm under his layers of dumbo rat blubber.

Socrates was a little black and white "fancy rat" who was the sweetest, smartest little rat friend I've ever had. I adopted him and Ben in October of 2007 from a friend who wasn't able to give them the attention and time they deserved.

Despite my efforts to teach Socrates to NOT sleep in my bed, every morning I'd wake up to find him cuddled up next to me. I was terrified that I'd squish him in my sleep and wake up to rolling over and off of his lifeless body. Since he wouldn't give up I ultimately decided that, since he was so hellbent and determined to cuddle and it made him so happy, if the above scenario did transpire, he'd at least go happy.

And he did. He was covered in oodles of cuddles and pets until the end and he died cupped in my hands, laying on my chest, looking up at me. He didn't suffer.

Ben misses him. He hasn't left their little house since last night and is acting really strange, confused, and withdrawn. Socrates and he have been best friends since they were little babies. Every night I'd fall asleep listening to the two of them wrestling, splashing around in the kitty's Drink Well and building huts together.

They're such social little guys - rats. I hate it when a little friend passes and someone's left alone. He'll be okay, though. I'll give him lots of forced lovins and will make sure there's plenty of edamame in the Drink Well tonight.

The Dapper Rat: Showing the world just how charming rats are!

Comments

  1. My wife and I recently purchased a Ferret Nation double decker cage, within which my wife hopes to house upwards of a dozen rats (which to me is a lot, but we certainly have oodles of room).

    We currently have three rats, Timothy and Anthony (brothers with a black/silver coat), and Rexy, a pink eyed white rex coat. Rexy had an infection until recently so he had been seperated from the twins, but they'll be put back together within the next day or so.

    Le sigh, I'll be uploading pic for you Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Socrates :( I'm glad he had you to care for him for most of his life. I'll never forget about that time they nommed up a couple $20 bills, what charming little rascals :) I have an adorable picture of him I'll have to send through gmail... this photoblogging is tricky business

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kammorremae: I'd love to see pictures of your little rat companions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm sorry mel. i may have been squeamish at first, when i awoke to him nibbling in close proximity to my face at night, but in the end i grew quite fond of them both....lets talk soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadness :( I loved him. Awww he was sooo cute!!!

    I'll miss him <3

    Sorry for your loss, I know how much you love those lil' guys

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww, Mel.. that visual of him passing while being cuddled on your chest made me all teary. I'm so sorry. Cutest little guy. I'd like to meet Ben sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carmen: Ben would love to meet you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!