Skip to main content

Utah Governor Support and Lava Lamps

Be forewarned; this is going to be a bit of a whiny post. I know, I know, they all are. But this one is even whinier!

I haven't been able to sleep well these past couple of weeks, which turns me into a pretty whiny human being. This has not escalated or decreased since starting T that I've noticed - the constant remains: sleep-deprivation ='s whiny.

However, I've been trying to be careful about noticing any mood variations and I've been incredibly lethargic these past couple weeks. Last week I was sick with a flu of some sort. This week I have a bit of a residual cough, but there's also this very dire lava lamp situation.

A few months back I inherited a ridiculous lava lamp from some nerdly friends of mine who moved. One day I decided to set it up in my room and turn it on. If that wasn't embarassing enough, it all went downhill from there. I went on to then develop a routine before going to bed where I'd light some smell good tea candles, start up Cliff Martinez's eerie, penetrating score from the Solaris movie soundtrack, then turn on the lava lamp.

I'd then lay there under my blankets falling in and out of sleep watching the lava lamp - some times resembling blood, other times looking like the planet Solaris. Then I'd doze off into a peaceful, sci-fi blissful slumber, dreaming of aliens and gore and pretty planets and stars.



Now that said lava lamp isn't working, I just can't get tired. I lay awake, wake up early, lay awake, and wake up early again. Over and over, all week. My lava lamp must be fixed!

In other news, the governor of Utah, Jon Huntsman Jr., has come out in support of civil unions AND the Common Ground Initiative. An article came out about it in the Salt Lake Tribune today:
Guv, at odds with most Utahns, backs civil unions for gays
Unlikely ally » Huntsman also supports other gay-rights bills, but they may be long shots.

Here is a sentence you probably never expected to read: Utah's governor supports civil unions. Read more >
I love how the title automatically claims that our governor is at odds with the majority of Utahns with the title, then goes on to constantly intertwine civil unions with the bills in the Common Ground Initiative. Which, again, have NOTHING to do with same-sex marriage or civil unions! Gah!

Yes, most Utahns are against civil unions, but over 80% are for basic LGBT rights and we are (as the LDS Church encouraged its members) working "together for a better society."

There was also an article about it in ABC news:
Huntsman supports same-sex civil unions
SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - The republican governor of Utah, Jon Huntsman Jr., is dropping a big, fat political bombshell right in the middle of the state capitol.
This is really exciting news. I mean, really now, Huntsman is a Republican who served an LDS mission in Taiwan, was a deputy United States trade representative in the George W. Bush Administration, is a 7th generation Utahn, yada yada yada and he supports civil unions AND the Common Ground Initiative. If this doesn't show common ground, I don't know what does. It's really encouraging.

By the way, Equality Utah has had some pretty bad ass billboards up around Utah for a few weeks now:





The bewildering world of progress, diversity, and tolerance.

Comments

  1. You make me laugh. "utahrds..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's go find you a new Lava Lamp! Are you still doing your ritual other then turning on the lava lamp?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kegg: The ritual just isn't right without the lava. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously, get another lava lamp, and try melatonin for a sleep aid. melatonin for mel..? sounds right to me!

    btw, i've heard of girl talk, but i've never heard them.... i'll try to find some stuff on the i-net and let you know. are they comparable to any other bands?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That article make me 8O when I read the quote about how so-n-so thought the Governor would "rather be nice than right." Seriously? I know I shouldn't be surprised anymore about our legislature and neighbors, but, oh.my.heck.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!