Skip to main content

Staying out

I catch myself every so often feeling incredibly uncomfortable and afraid about being so open about my transition. On some level, I feel a strong desire to huddle it all up inside and to stop blogging. To resist, I remind myself about why I'm out, why I'm blogging, and why I'm so open about the little kibbles and bits of transition.

Growing up I was frequently 'mistaken' as a cisgender boy and would hear this abstract, foreign word used frequently to describe me: "androgynous". I had no idea what that word meant, but I'd gathered that it had something to do with being perceived as a girl who'd be frequently mistaken as a boy. I felt offended by that word and by all of the gender confusion on a daily basis, mostly because it was generally seen by other children in a negative way that would result in teasing.

Honestly, I remember feeling insulted. I'd look in the mirror and think that I wasn't a bad looking kid, but maybe I'd just adjusted to my appearance. I remember letting it seep in once or twice that, perhaps, I was such an unattractive female that I appeared to be male. The one pop culture androgynous role-model I knew of at the time was Pat from Saturday Night Live.


Guy: "Are you a brotha or a sista?"
Pat: "Well, I'm an only child!"

Don't get me wrong. I love Pat. But, for a little gender variant kid trying to figure out what this all meant, having Pat as my one and only role-model didn't help. Fortunately, nowadays there are a whole slew of bad ass uber hot kick ass androgynous role-models out there. Hurrah!

I can't even explain how excited I was to see Arclight (bad ass in mutant) in X-Men 3, played by androgynous model Omahyra:



Why wasn't she around in popular pop culture when I was a little bopper!?

Anyway, despite feeling confused and uncomfortable about where I fit in, I was skeptical about why everyone was so obsessed with what it meant to be a girl. Fortunate for me, my parents weren't.

I remember running around the neighborhood topless with a pack of boys once upon a time. While we were splashing about in a nearby river, a woman walked by and asked me, "Hey, aren't you a little girl?". When I didn't reply, she continued, "You are, aren't you? Why don't you have a shirt on?" When I refused to put a shirt on, she grew increasingly upset and even started to yell.

When I brought it up to my parents later, they explained to me that they didn't care whether I wore a shirt or not - but unfortunately, some other people do. And that, when I "developed", it would even become illegal. I wasn't quite sure about this development nonsense they were talking about, but started wearing shirts from then on.

Once I hit my teens, that development my parents were rambling on about kicked in. Other things started to happen, too. Things that made it more difficult to ignore the drastic disconnect this blog is dedicated to. When I was a young bopper, I had no idea what word there was to describe me and what I was experiencing. I felt like an undefinable thing. A freak.

When I wasn't being teased or harassed for being seen as gay, lesbian, a tom boy, butch, what have you, I would be frequently perceived as a boy by strangers. I'd never correct them but, when I spoke, this familiar expression of confusion mixed with embarrassment would cross their face and they'd stutter to 'correct' themselves, "O-oh, I'm so sorry!", like it was the gravest insult.

I felt like karma was playing a cruel joke on me, putting me in a body that couldn't even go to a public rest room without incident and explanation. The constant taunting and staring.

I'd kept the disconnect I was experiencing covered, but when I hit my mid-teens I'd finally started to embrace being referred to as androgynous and being perceived as a male in public at times. I'd had a paradigm shift in regards to believing that there was something wrong with being gender ambiguous. I learned to revel in it and attempted to use the nervousness I inspired in people to challenge. When a scene would arise, most frequently in public restrooms, I'd learned to laugh or smile about it rather than react embarrassed or upset.

In 1999, when I was 16 years old, Boys Don't Cry came out in theaters. In preparation I secretly rented a documentary about Brandon Teena, the transgender guy the film is based on. I remember watching it at home while my mom crocheted. Stemming from his story and from other things I'd stumbled across, I began to evolve from a young person who believed there was no word to describe me, that I was an undefinable thing, to knowing that there was a word - transsexual. Identifiable. A person. But how to fully admit that to myself? How to tell anyone?

It took baby steps, revealing layers of myself to a few friends. It also took me a long time to admit it to myself. For some time I was convinced that I was just a different kind of woman (i.e. "Why can't I be a woman without breasts and with a dick and a beard?"). Yet, stemming from that physiological disconnect and my perceptions on binary gender and social constructs, I knew that I wasn't.

And, in 2005 an HBO documentary called Middle Sexes: Redefining He and She came out. I related to it on numerous levels, particularly in regards to the Netherland studies on the brains of transsexuals, which I blogged about a bit ago. When I felt close and safe with someone I'd watch this documentary with them, and afterward would explain that I related in a round-a-bout way that never included the word "transgender".

I hadn't entirely accepted it myself, yet.

And I didn't know why I'd want to tell anyone. Why I couldn't keep it to myself, seeing as I feared that it would only hurt and confuse everyone around me. I also felt like no one could help and it was my problem to bear. But then, through counseling, I discovered that I did want to come out after all.

And why? Because closets are suffocating. I wanted to be free.

Coming out to my parents was the most terrifying, even knowing that they'd be supportive. I was mostly afraid to hurt them, to cause them worry or stress. I explained to them that I'd been covering this up for quite some time. I explained that the smiling face they know, the sarcastic prankster, had been crying himself to sleep every night and felt a tremendous amount of self-loathing that they weren't at fault for.

I explained to them that I'd become great at covering this, my most vulnerable secret. I didn't want anyone to see the anger, frustration - even self-hate - that I was experiencing. To stave off the teasing I'd learned to come off as entirely confident, impenetrable and whole. This was easy to do and not that hard to emulate. I'd learned that sometimes there were only two ways to handle something: either break down, or laugh. So I'd learned to laugh and to cry only when I was alone.

These past few months I've discovered that I'm not alone in this. There's a huge community of others like me, with similar experiences and stories. What matters is that we're not alone and that no matter how long we've covered ourselves up - we don't have to forever.

It took years for me to create this cover, to make it solid and it's taking a lot of effort to break that down. To let the truth come out, to be myself and to express that without backing up into those old habits.

The first step was to say, "I will not hide any longer." And that was a huge step. I will not hide. I will be who I am and I won't let anyone else decide that for me. I'm the one who has to live in this body for pete's sake, not them. And I can face my own reflection knowing I'm not alone, knowing that others have walked a similar path. Knowing that my family loves and supports me. Knowing that my friends do, too. And knowing that, by not hiding, it demystifies being trans and, hopefully, chips away at the fear surrounding it, too.

It's hard, but every small step forward is a big deal, even the baby steps. I realize that fear is okay to feel because I'm facing it anyway by letting go of the safety of the cover, the lie, and the fabrication by saying, "This is who I am."

It's horrible to know that most trans people don't have that crucial support from their families. As one trans feller put it:

"I need your love and your support. I need you to be happy for me that, for once in my life, I don't feel like the F word. For once, I feel whole. How can a parent or a sibling understand that? Maybe they can't and maybe they won't. Maybe it's why so many of us make our own families outside of familial bonds. Maybe it's why so many gays and lesbians, so many transgender people, have such close bonds in the families they create from their own subcultured worlds. We need that. We need to be touched and held. We need to cry and to be there for others to cry on. We need validation in our lives."
p.s.s. and today is injection day! Woo kapooie! This will be my 7th injection since December 11th, 2008.

Comments

  1. what a story, I am so curious about how you deal with transitioning in Utah of all places?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traveller: Very carefully. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really appreciate this post. i think that a lot of what you wrote is relatable to most people in some way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and.... your candor is quite appreciated as well. i think your documenting this might help many become more understanding and accepting, as you're just another person doing what's right for you.... that in and of itself deserves praise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't even imagine what it must be like VeganBattleBot. It must be difficult, to say the very least. Have you ever read or seen Angels in America? It's amazing.
    Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah Mel,

    you have such a great way with words, and being able to express them in this format. I'm so glad to be able to follow along, learn more about you and your process, and to support you. Since we no longer see each other often, I would have had no idea about this unless I'd seen the blog. Already you've helped me to learn some more things about myself in documenting this process.

    I bet you will find that people who truly care about you will do whatever they can to support you. Being open about the process is just another way to inform and educate. It's such a seldom-told story, and such an intimate subject that I'm sure people (such as myself and maybe others) might bumble along the way.

    I'm just so glad I can have this small insight. If for some reason one of my daughters wanted to have this kind of journey, I'd have so much more insight because of your openness. Big THANK YOU! and a bigger YOU ROCK! (no matter what little bits you happen to be sporting) I count you and your parents as really great role models for so many reasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a co-worker and friend I just want to say that every time I read a post I just want to give you a big hug. You are brave and I respect and support you! All I had to do is be gay. I don't always see you at work and am not sure you would welcome a hug anyway so here is a big old virtual hug Mel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the position of an outsider whenever I visit this blog. You face hardships and adversity that are entirely foreign to me. You tred ground that has proved dangerous and sometimes fatal for people in the past. And you do it with much candor and bravery, being brutally honest, and ultimately, honestly human.

    However, even as an outsider, I feel like I've discovered a gem in your writing. It's refreshing to read, and you've been so kind as to cast an eye at my blogs from time to time (and seeing how many you follow, I'm impressed you keep up with any of them).

    ReplyDelete
  9. i'm an asshole. instead of commenting on all the beautiful things you wrote about your transition, i'm going to say this:

    Omahyra is effin H.O.T.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Traveller: I haven't seen Angels in America, actually, but I've heard more than once that I should. I'll rent it in a jiffy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Neekrs: You're so deep and insightful. She's alright. Not as hot as Pat, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And, thanks everyone for your super sweet, supportive and thoughtful responses!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blake: Just gay? Bah! I've actually always felt lucky usually being on a different end of perceived gender when it comes to orientation, where gay males get A LOT of slack. The few times I've been mistaken for a "gay male" have been some of the most physically dangerous. You're the brave trooper here. :]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, melhouse. I had no idea it was so difficult for you to get to this point, because I've always just assumed it about you. Remember how I said on several occasions that sex with you would just be 'straight' sex, to me?

    Well, it's truer now than ever before, but it was true then too. No difference, in my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!