Skip to main content

Trip to the Doc!

My visit to the doctor last Friday wasn't as satisfying as I'd anticipated. Essentially, she's incredibly blunt and honest. She doesn't do the usual "don't worry" vague doctor shindig, but instead opts to tell me how it is. This is a good thing and I appreciate it, but, on the toss side, the news is rarely encouraging or what I'd prefer to hear.

For example, I explained to her how I actually want to attempt to preserve a semblance of functioning and health in my reproductive organs throughout this process. She instantly assumed that I wanted to remain fertile (Gah! NO!), so I tried to clarify that I only care about not having them atrophy into my stomach or something - and, more importantly, to be able to function enough that they'll produce hormones and menstruate when I stop testosterone therapy.

I suspect she's not used to necessarily caring about the preservation or monitoring of a trans guy's ovaries and uterus since, in most transitioning cases, the plan is to eventually have them surgically removed asap anyway. Which, if this doesn't work out as planned, I will end up opting to do, also.

Anyway, she seemed perplexed, then told me, "There's really no way to tell how they're doing. There's very little information about the long-term effects of testosterone therapy on the female reproductive organs... we do the pap smear to test for signs of cancer in your cervix, but that's the best I know how to do."

What about an ultrasound or something?! Ugh. I'll bring this up at our next appointment but, jebus. There has to be a way to at least LOOK at what's going on in there.

When I brought up the idea of doing a short course of progesterone therapy to forcibly induce a period every so often, she listened, furrowed her brow, but didn't protest. She then suggested we do it once a year at the same time we do the pap smear.

I didn't say anything at the moment, happy that she had agreed to it, but honestly, this doesn't seem frequent enough to me - to have an entire year of potentially pre-cancerous uteral lining buildup until it's forcibly shed. Makes me anxious. So, when I make another appointment with her in about 10 days from now (when she goes over my blood test results with me - liver, hormone levels, kidneys, etc. - and writes me a new prescription), I'll bring up the idea of doing it twice a year, once every 6 months. Go from there.

Her attitude about insurance covering anything was sour. I suspect she's been flagged as Utah's "tranny doctor" by insurance companies or something, because it seems like insurance is very uncooperative with her patients.

At some point she told me that I "expect a lot from Salt Lake City... where there are limited resources for trans people."

I immediately thought about how a friend of mine who lived here about 10 years ago moved when he decided to transition. He was the only trans person I knew, and there was no way in hell [he] was going to do it in Utah, he said. He moved to California.

Anyway, then my doctor sent me down to the lab to have my blood work done where I learned, to my horror, that I DIDN'T NEED TO FAST ALL DAY! Oooo that was so upsetting! I'd put all of this effort into restraining myself from consuming anything but water all.frakkin.day.long and, low and behold, it was entirely fruitless!

On the plus side, when the phlebotomist sucks blood out of said hapless victim, apparently there's some type of rubber seal that automatically holds the blood in the container once all is said and done. Not entirely sure how it works, but, what I do know is that, once she'd sucked my blood up into that blood container and took it out, my blood splurt out on to her chest, the floor, and all over the counter and sink. To which the phlebotomist sat aghast then commented, "Hmm. That hasn't happened in a while. Looks like your blood burst the rubber."

Which, by the way, is a perfect setup for so many irresistible mature comments. Surprisingly, I was able to hold it back.

Somehow.

It is a bit of an ego boost that I popped that rubber when this guy's head can't even pop this rubber:



My blood is that good.

On a complete side note, look what's in development! A site called Love My FTM. It's a "community for transmen & their loved ones. Family friendly environment for resources & support. Friends, relatives, & other allies welcome."

What a good idea. I approve. *stamp*



Comments

  1. What does you stamp look like? Or do I need to render that too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kammorremae: It looks like this?
    http://fc26.deviantart.com/fs22/f/2008/025/a/6/Funny_Stamp_002_by_whiteknightjames.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kammorremae: There! I stamped it visually!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, your doctor kind of sounds like a bitch. For as much as she's supposed to be the "open minded" doctor, it sounds like she's actually just created another little narrow minded box labelled "transgendered" and is trying to cram you into it. You might have better luck finding a doctor whose personality is a good fit for you, and who is open minded and willing to look into all of your options. In this case, it sounds like the doctor's experience with the transgender community is more of a hinderance than a help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. raedances: I think you're entirely right. I thinking that I'm going to pursue the doctor I went to back in the day for the breast exam, who seemed to be really considerate and helpful.

    Then I can hold on to the doctor I currently have just for my prescriptions and routine check on hormone levels and whatnot.

    Because, yeah, she definitely seems to think that there's a way to transition, and isn't being all that helpful in regards to my 'straying' from that path. :\

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like the doctor visit was pretty frustrating. Hopefully she will be more willing to listen next time...

    Thanks for the link to the "Love my FTM" site, I am excited!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the link. Thanks for sharing it.
    Also, is she your only option for a physician? She could use a little bedside manner...sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Keri: She's the only trans-friendly/aware option I know of, but there has to be someone else! I'm finding a 2nd and 3rd opinion, fo' sho!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wakeuplovely: It was. And yeah, that 'Love My FTM' site is so flippin' cute. I'm excited to see it grow from its current state of pathetic infancy to a real, rampant forum!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!