Skip to main content

Gender Pronouns & My Grams

Gender pronouns.

What a mixed bag of predicament, that one.

I've thought about this quite a bit, especially now that I'm transitioning and facing new, not entirely anticipated social pressures orienting around binary gender - both within the trans community and outside of it, which I'll ramble on aboot in a later post. For now, I'll try to stick to the nitty gritty of answering, "What pronouns do I prefer, and why?"

Back in January I posted,
"I'm noticing that people are just too confused by it, default on 'she', and it's exhausting to constantly explain genderqueer or how my transition is separate from my gender identity. I'm finding that I'm in a position where it's easier to just use language most people can understand, like "female-to-male", for example. Given the options 'he' or 'she', I feel much more comfortable with 'he'. So, at group yesterday, I said, "I'm starting to prefer male pronouns." then said something about how it's for the sake of ease, comfort, and convenience and doesn't entirely reflect my actual gender identity.

I feel a bit conflicted about it. By opting to use 'he' pronouns it does nothing to represent my actual gender identity or to challenge that binary. Still, when people are using 'she' to describe me, it's even worse. At least I'm more comfortable with 'he' and relate to it better and can still be open about my gender identity with anyone who's inquisitive and receptive. I'm figuring it out, but, in the meantime, I've concluded that I do have a preference for people in general. He. Close friends, people who know me well, are already good at avoiding gender pronouns."
I'd come to this conclusion, but I hadn't communicated it outside of the group. I fell back on not having a preference, leaving the option to others to use whatever pronoun(s) they felt most comfortable with. I didn't feel entirely comfortable about "he", but my train of thought has come tootin' along to a more solid place these past few weeks.

I've been asking myself questions like, "What gender pronoun(s) do I honestly prefer? Is it he?", "What genuinely feels right, in contrast to what's expected?", "What do I feel comfortable with?"

Ponder, ponder.

And honestly.

When it comes right down to it.

I'm not fond of being referred to as she. It's never felt comfortable or accurately descriptive, yet it's been the most prominently used to refer to my gender. But it's not me, damnit. I'm over it. Done.

And, while in this smog of pondering, I've concluded that, deep inside, I do prefer he, even though, I'm not sure that I actually do have a preference.

And this is due to beginning to identify closer to something along the lines of 'trans guy' or, even better, a 'genderqueer guy', and I just might be genuinely prefering traditionally male pronouns (man, feller, good sir, ol' chap, guy, asshole, even he) or, even better, the avoidance of pronouns altogether when possible.

Most important part for me being that there's 'genderqueer' or 'trans' before 'guy', demonstrating that I'm entirely conscious of my gender, every single day, and that this pronoun is a byproduct of that awareness.

Based on this impermanent conclusion and internally coming to feel more solid about it, Saturday I finally asked a few of my close friends to either avoid gender pronouns altogether or to use traditionally male pronouns. Everyone was super sweet about it, admitting that they may slip up from time to time, to which I'd reply, "That's okay. I won't get all frazzled about it."

And it came into practice that very night when I attended a Bingo party at Jude's house where some were referring to me as she while others were referring to me as he, or avoiding gender pronouns altogether.

I loved the barrage of pronoun mix n' mangle.

I've also noticed another... pronoun, of sorts, that people have been using towards me lately; like a natural not-sure-what-pronoun-to-use occurrence. It sounds like "ee". As in, "ee knows", where the 's' or 'h' just kind of... drop off via the uncertainty. It's sort of imperceptive. Maybe I'll start preferring 'ee'.

"Ee was really distraught that this turned out to be a pajama and ice cream party instead of a bikini-themed one."

Now I just need to get up the nerve to communicate this preference to more people. The idea of it has me feeling nervous. I may wait until my whiskers are more burly n' prominent before correcting anyone. I'm hoping that, with a face full of whiskers, it will be easier and less confusing for people, particularly co-workers.

Or maybe I won't, deciding that the thought and dialogue provoked from appearing to be a cisgender male who they've always seen as female being referred to as 'she', while some are referring to me as 'he', is entirely worth it. And, if asked about my preference, I'll answer, "Ah shucks, thanks for asking. I prefer he.". Hmm!

In other news, my grandma sent me the cutest e-mail yesterday (my grammy keeps with the times, see. she's hip. it's in the blood.):
"I read your blog and am following your journey. I also am clapping and cheering for you and want you to be healthy and happy - ALWAYS."
When I told her that she's the best grandma a trans grand kid could wish for, she replied,
"And you, Mel, are the best grandson a gma ever had. Am I saying this correctly? Love you."
Gah! So cute! I can't even handle it! Seriously? How amazing can a grandma get!?

I remember when I was just a little wee bop and had visited my grandma after school one day. Instead of asking me, "What did you learn today?", she asked, "What did you ask today?". That question has resonated with me ever since, as well as a slew of other memories shared with my amazing grandma.

I feel so frickin' lucky to have so much love and support in my life. Thank you grams, and everyone else!

Comments

  1. When I blogged about the Ching Farm, I spent a good 10 minutes trying to figure out how to make it work without using pronouns to describe you. I finally realized it was impossible in that instance. It sucks that there isn't a gender neutral word. In the meantime I will call you fella, guy, ol' chap, he or whatever else you want me to call you. But I'll probably mostly call you asshole or duuuuude. ;) BTW, your g'ma is one of a kind. I'm glad you appreciate that. And of course you do, because you're wonderful and one of a kind yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love ye gma too, she thinks i can't read tho...or something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel,

    I've subscribed to your blog and have been reading for a while now. I can almost always relate to what you've written.

    Your grandma and my grandparents seem to have a few things in common! Unfortunately I lost my grandma in November, but she was very supportive end loving (and hip) too. For a long time, the only "elder" in my family I was able to talk to openly about my sexuality/gender.

    I wrote an entry about my grandpa a few months ago which you can read here: http://queer-jero.blogspot.com/2008/12/one-of-guys.html

    Hearing the stories of other genderqueers has helped me come to terms with the person that I am and has made me feel less alone. Thanks for putting so much of yourself out there for the world to see.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, I am j.e.a.l.o.u.s. of your Grandma. I mean, I had some nice grandmas but the most memorable gma moment I remember was when my little Peruvian grammy, Mamma Lucha, advised me in her broken English not to go outside because the missionaries will rape me. I'm not sure if this was a language barrier type situation or if that's really what she meant to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen: Whatever else I want you to call me? OOo... that's a setup for SO many possibilities! How about, in addition to fella, guy, ol' chap, and he you could also call me, "handsome", "babe", and "irresistible". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess: Hey! First off, thanks for commenting. I read the blog post you linked me to and commented - your gramps sounds like a swell feller. I love it when someone, no matter how old, can stay open-minded, despite how things were when they grew up. People seem to have very strong tendencies to prefer the familiar and to become more stubborn and less receptive to new ideas as we age.

    I think there's so much to learn from our grand parents, especially in consciously recognizing my own tendencies to become less receptive to entirely foreign ideas. And also to confront my own biases and always, always keep in open mind.

    I enjoy your blog, too, and linked to it! Keep on truckin' on. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Manna: It sounds to me like Mamma Lucha was giving you some good advice. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Just found you by following a link on my own blog. Someone followed a link from you to me, I guess. Thanks for linking by the way!

    Just wanted to say I'm SO with you on the whole genderqueer or trans before "guy" thing. I understand those who want to be "guys" period but being a different kind of guy is crucial to my identity.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey man. Grandma's are amazing. Mine still hasn't conformed completely. It's been 5 months and she's still asking me if my son is going to call me Dad. *shakes head* Thanks for following the site. You are the only person that I, that I know of. lol. Hope you like it. If you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know. Im going to try to be good and update more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. if i could not read, i would not be able to read yer blog and make asinine comments. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. tboyjacky: Hey! Thanks for the comment and note of solidarity. :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allstar: DEFINITELY update more, if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grandma sounds awesome. :)

    The only times the gender pronoun thing confuses me are when there are issues of temporality involved. Do you think of yourself as having been "she" before you decided to begin transitioning? Obviously, I don't mean whether or not you really were "she" on the inside (because let's be honest, when we went as the Teen Girl Squad for halloween, it was WAY weirder to see you wearing a lifty-up bra than it was to see Mike or Micah with boobs) but do you think of the pronouns as having continuity or changing right along with your body?

    ReplyDelete
  14. raedances: In my own experience, it isn't through transitioning physically that I've developed a pronoun preference but, rather, a byproduct of coming out and thinking, "To hell with it!", which opened a big ol' door when it came to just being myself and no longer hiding.

    A big part of that door, that barrier, has been this seemingly insurmountable pressure and fear, which included ever communicating any kind of pronoun preference, stemming from my gender identity and how to refer to it given how incredibly binary and polarized we are culturally.

    Gender-wise, I'd identified as genderqueer prior to transitioning, but it never came up. After coming out and realizing just how amazing and supportive people can be, I've also become incrementally braver, which has resulted in coming out an additional step as a "genderqueer guy" who really, for pete's sake, prefers 'he' or to not be defined by pronouns in the first place, whenever possible.

    Something else worth pointing out is that my transitioning isn't necessarily gender-related, for me. The physical transition aspect is for my own sanity and physiological comfort. Socially and culturally, gender, as a construct, has been a tricky venue my entire life - and, now that I feel braver and braver, it's easier to be more honest with myself, my identity, and wanting that acknowledged rather than suppressed. :]

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always thought of you as genderqueer, honestly. Except for when I didn't want to be "the girl programmer," then you got counted in the girl column for statistical purposes. ;)

    Gender is kind of a bullshit social construction anyway - there's no good reason for it to be binary, and in many cultures there is a long history of fluidity. (The Hijira of India and Pakistan, the concept of the Xanith, and several examples in Native American nations, to name a few).

    Blerg - I want to say more, but I'm supposed to be writing a final. Coincidentally the topic is on how feminist and poststructuralist criticisms argue against these sorts of naturalized categories (e.g., gender) that we take for granted. Sadly, it sounds way more interesting than it actually is (the final, not the topic) and I keep catching myself trying to find excuses to put it off. Since I don't really want to pull an all-nighter, I guess it's time to get back to work, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  16. raedances: I'm excited for you to post more when you're not pressured to put oodles of work and effort into a final paper. Thanks for the thoughtful commenting despite your busy.busy school life.

    Maybe when your finals are over I'll intentionally post something with the sole purpose of riling you up. Something like, "Women haven't changed over time, culture has." or something. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Women haven't changed over time, culture has."

    Ha! you'll have to do better than that! First of all, you will need to define your categories! If your assertion here is that 'women' are a culturally defined category, then your statement is contradictory. If you are using 'women' to denote the normative biology of the female homo Sapiens, then I would agree with the argument.

    :)

    Sorry, my brain is in uber-nerd mode. . . which is actually kind of where it always is, to be quite honest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. raedances: Ha! Sucka!

    And I don't think your brain is ever OUT of nerd zone. Sorry. It's a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  19. raedances brought up something I remember wanting to mention to you a long time ago (the last time I actually saw you being Inauguration Day!).
    The Navajo nadle, or two-spirit (usually a gay man, from what I understand), had its own respected role in society as someone who was privileged enough to be able to see into both the male and female realms- why wouldn't that be useful, I ask you! Guys could go to this nadle to understand why they were in the doghouse with their lady, etc ;). Similarly in some pacific island cultures gay men are prized as -what else? babysitters/advice givers. Heh. If it takes a village to raise a child, give me a village that values the differences in everyone so that those gifts can be passed on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!