Skip to main content

Jiggly Tofu, Injection, and Upcoming Doctor Visit

Injection time went well last night! I've got that shizzit down like a pirate knows how to fire cannons through portholes.

I didn't get home until a little after midnight, but that whole 'Is this what jonesing feels like?" sensation I experienced last time wasn't present. Whew!

Last time I injected into my left thigh (I'd always been injecting into my right) with the idea that I'm going to alternate between thighs. So last night I injected into my right thigh and, for some reason, it's become a bit painful. I can feel the needle slide through every layer of muscle like it's thicker or hardened when it used to have a seamless, slide-in-like-butta sensation going on.

I just need to develop a little bot like this to do injections for me! Then I can just lay back and think about buttery textures and juicy centers while the bot determines the softest point of entry before sticking n' injecting! Genius.



Anyway, right after work last night I went to an awards dinner for The Inclusion Center as one of the attendees from the Utah Pride Center. I heard free dinner and I was sold.

However, a vegan never knows what to expect at an event like this when it comes to the dinner side of things. For example, I remember going to the most recent Democratic convention dinner with my pops (who went vegan a few years after I did!) and some other family peeps in support of my grammy running to become a national delegate.

So the servers bring out little plates for everyone that include a main course of chicken, then two little sides of corn and peas. My pops and I are told, "The chef is preparing yours. We will bring it out shortly."

In no time at all two little dishes are brought out and the lids are removed to reveal a main course of a steamed block of tofu drizzled with BBQ sauce and two little sides of corn and peas. We thanked the server, then, once he'd wandered off, couldn't hold back some chuckling. Um, yes, I eat jiggly blocks of steamed tofu every day! It's my favorite!

I could just imagine the chef in the back room having absolutely NO idea what vegans eat. "Tree bark? Grass, maybe?", then scratching his head trying, for the life of him, to figure out what to make. "Oh, I know. I'll steam this block of jiggly tofu and drizzle some BBQ sauce on it."

Don't get me wrong. I love my tofu. But, a good non-vegan analogy might be to imagine having someone crack open some eggs and just drizzle them on to a plate and go, "Oh uh, here. All done. Eat up!" Slurp slurp.

Jiggly block of tofu aside, it was actually really cute and we entirely appreciated the effort and ate it all up.

I've had experiences where there's zero catering towards vegans, but times are changing. It also helps to consciously remember the land before time when I wasn't yet vegan, especially when I hadn't even heard the word before and, even after I had, how entirely mysterious and foreign it initially was.

Anyhoo, stemming from experiences like this, I wasn't sure what to expect dinner-wise. Low and behold, when they brought out my dinner I was above and beyond impressed. Delicious clear noodles with tons of cooked, flavored vegetables, mushrooms, slices of grilled tofu. It was amazing.

I ate way too much.

After eating so much I eventually had to wander off to the mens restroom. There were some youth who came with our group from the LGBQT youth center who had learned that I was trans. When I was all done with my bidness in the loo and started washing my hands, one of the youth walked in.

Saw me.

Froze.

Muttered something.

Looked horribly uncomfortable.

Then he walked up to a urinal, glanced over at me, then turned to enter a stall.

Oh boy. Poor kid and all that bewildering trans processing. He'll adjust.

It was also pointed out to me last night by another trans guy that my clothes aren't fitting. I'm aware of this. I told him to shut it, then he asked if he could have my hand-me-downs.

The Inclusion Center, by the way, runs a little program called Camp Anytown that I went to in high school. It was an incredibly memorable experience and I mentioned it in an earlier blog post:

I remember going to this camp shindig in high school for naughty youth who were tardy too much, which entailed a series of little exercises about diversity and tolerance (I actually came out sexual orientation-wise at this camp). They had one exercise in particular that was pretty surprising and memorable for me. The facilitator would separate the room according to the gender binary - "males" on one side, "females" on the other. The facilitator would then ask a series of questions and whoever it pertained to could raise their hand, irrelevant to gender. The moral of the exercise being that, in general, a lot of polarized gender abuse occurs.

For example, one question was, "Have you ever been hit for crying?". Not a single 'female' raised her hand, but every 'male' (but the two I happened to be friends with, and who also happened to not be hyper-masculine and felt comfortable expressing themselves in a more laid back, fluid way) DID raise their hands. It was astounding to me, and that binary dynamic continued to occur. "Have you ever been sexually harassed on the street?", etc., etc. Hmm!

Ahem, so in just a couple hours I have an appointment with my doctor. This will be my first appointment with her since starting hormone therapy. I'm bringing a little notepad full of questions and I also haven't consumed anything but water all morning in preparation for those oh-so-fun blood and pee tests.

so...h.u..ng..ry... My mom is coming with me and warned me that she also has questions for my doctor and may insist on a "general panel".

My poor, poor doctor.

p.s. my parents have had the few little bumper stickers on their car vandalized a number of times. They have a green "GO VEGAN" sticker that gets it the worst, then woke up this morning to discover that their Obama one had been covered over with a sticker that has this URL at the bottom (warning: it's a really messed up, infuriating site).

Neo-Nazis? Seriously? Ugh. Just what Utah needs.

Comments

  1. Maybe the kid was just pee-shy. I have the hardest time peeing at a urinal when other people are in the room. I will go into a stall before I'll choose a urinal with others present. This phobia is enhanced when there are no partitions between the urinals.

    Probably not, but that's how I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to agree with Boyd there, about being pee shy. I haven't heard of too many guys too shy to pee in front of anyone, based on other reasons, than just being shy.

    Good luck with your doctor visit, and remember to ask all those questions. My grandmother always reminds me to ask all questions about anything, even the stupid things, because you never know what they could mean, really.

    However, I haven't been to a doctor in 5+ years, so I haven't had the chance to actually take her up on her advice, ha. Oh wells. And Tofu.. hm, I tried that once. I think it'd have to take some serious getting used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow and all this in one day. Pee shy or not you educted him in ways that I am sure he will be thankful for someday :). Hope all went well at the doc or should I say on the Doc!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh the URL made me so mad i spit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that website is a treat. I love how the thing is now they say they don't hate, they just want separatism. Yet all those images sure do promote something more then separatism, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boyd n' Lost: Perhaps. I suspect it was due to my presence only because of how he paused and mumbled and kept glancing over at me. You'd assume someone would be used to, if they're pee shy, just walking directly to a stall if someone else is in there?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Monkey Outlaw: It did, and didn't. I'll blog whine about it as soon as I can! :]

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kegg: I know! I wonder what they consider "hate" if that doesn't qualify? Geez.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got that shizzit down like a pirate knows how to fire cannons through portholes.


    super clever!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yeah. There's a neo compound here, in West Jordan apparently. Lamb and Lynx Gaede were actually secretly living here for a while. Google them if you're not aware of the creepiness yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. People have left me notes on my car to let me know how wrong I am based on "Hillary" or "Kerry" or whatever sticker I have on my car that bucks the norm here. The notes are generally appreciated over the vandalism and road rage we have also encountered due to a sticker. It's nuts! But then again you witnesses the protest at our Governor just saying he supports civil unions. He can't do a damn thing to make it happen but just his deviation from the Utah collective drove people nuts. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Douchebaguette: Ew. I think I'll abstain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Blake: It really is. It's bewildering to me how irrationally threatened and afraid people can be, and how they frequently opt to react to it with aggression.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!