Skip to main content

Different Doctor n' Unemployed Hippy Freedom

When I called to make an appointment with my doctor last week I was told that I could make one sooner with her "assistant" or could wait x amount of time to make one with her. I opted for the sooner appointment to make super duper sure I'd have my prescription in time for my next injection - Thursday, the 16th.

I was a little anxious about the prospect of seeing someone new, but felt comfort in the fact that he's someone my main doctor chose and, so I figgered, must be trans-friendly.

Not only was he above and beyond friendly, but he was also packed full of oodles of enthusiasm to learn and help.

I think this feller just might be my new main doctor, if possible.

I've thought a great deal about a comment that raedances posted in response to my last doctor trip:
For as much as she's supposed to be the "open minded" doctor, it sounds like she's actually just created another little narrow minded box labeled "transgendered" and is trying to cram you into it. You might have better luck finding a doctor whose personality is a good fit for you, and who is open minded and willing to look into all of your options. In this case, it sounds like the doctor's experience with the transgender community is more of a hinderance than a help.
Bold added to emphasize the part that's resonated the most. In contrast to the kind of "this is the way to transition" feedback I'd been receiving from my usual doctor and her reluctance to help me stray from that path, this other doctor is new enough and actively reading up on it. He expressed genuine interest in learning about and exploring various options with me. To help make sure it's as safe and informed as possible.

He even gave me his cell phone number and encouraged me to call him any time when I need prescription refills or have concerns. To just stumble into the folds of this other surprisingly impressive new doctor via my old doctor is just, score 1 for team me.

This is also incredibly relieving now that I'm temporarily uninsured (I still haven't received information from COBRA) and unable to explore as freely with other doctors to get second opinions.

Plus, all of my results are looking good. Liver is happy. Pulse was so stellar that my new favorite doctor asked, "Do you work out every day? Your pulse rate is a perfect 60.", which I've never heard before and replied, "I sure do!"

I'm bragging a little. And, despite working out daily, I've gone from 185lbs to 200lbs these past few months. It's ridiculous and intense. I'm now starting to pay attention to calories and exactly how much my body is now capable of consuming. It's a lot.

My hormone levels apparently look good, too, to which he commented, "Your testosterone levels are much, much higher. You're right in the 500 range." It also seems as though I'm masculinizing sufficiently at a reasonable rate. Voice has dropped, hair growth is happening incrementally, musculature is changing. Because of this, he didn't change the dosage of my prescription - I'll continue taking 100mg of Testosterone Cypionate, injected every 2 weeks.

According to Hudson's FTM Resource Guide:
What are considered "normal" test levels of combined bound and free testosterone in male bodies can range anywhere from 300-1100 ng/dl (nanograms per deciliter). Levels will vary with age and individual factors.

It is useful to also measure the level of free testosterone in the system, as this may be more indicative of how hormone therapy is progressing. Levels of free testosterone can range between 0.3%-5% of the total testosterone count, with about 2% considered an average level. Ask your doctor to check for both total and free levels of testosterone in your system.

Remember that because every body has a different sensitivity to androgens, T levels themselves will not necessarily indicate results in terms of masculinization. The levels are merely a guideline by which you and your doctor can begin to measure progress. Your results and your dosing should be guided by your overall health (especially the health of your heart and liver), your progress in masculinization, and how your body and moods react to different dosages. Testosterone therapy is not a one-size-fits-all approach-- be sure to monitor your health and feelings closely, and remember that even a small adjustment in dosage (in either direction) can make a big difference. Your doctor should rely on the tests below to monitor your overall health.
Wooo, good news galore. It's like I'm riding on this big wave of super optimism. Apparently that's another potential side effect of unemployment - freedom.

And freedom is busy. Partially stressful, uninsured freedom - but an opportunity to take advantage of, nonetheless. I've noticed that, culturally, it's automatically assumed that there's nothing to do if one isn't employed and that boredom would swiftly set in. It hasn't.

Without work taking up a huge chunk of my time and exhausting my emotional and mental resources, there are a million + 1 things to get done, every single day. I'd come home from work tired and would spend my leisure time essentially recovering from it. Now I get to spend 80% of my time acting creatively, doing things, and working hard on things I actually care about. The remaining 20% is spent sleeping or job/apartment hunting (I'm moving by May 1st!).

It's liberating and refreshing, big time. There are a few predicaments, though. Like certain economic choices I've made, like planning to finish school (I'm returning next Fall), purchasing food vs. dumpstering everything, renting an apartment vs. squatting, having medical bills and medical ambitions (top surgery!), etc.

But aside from the above, my life is pretty simplified. Enough to reduce a great deal of potential unemployment stress, like not having car payments or dependents or dire health concerns. My unemployment won't last for long though, so taking advantage of it in the meantime is pretty swell.

The timing of the sunshiny blue skied weather couldn't be better.

Comments

  1. i have spent the last few hours playing catch up on your journal. it's been a while since i've had leisure time on the internet.

    my god, do i miss you! i am sorry you got laid off, but am confident that you are using the time well and you are resourceful. i can't wait to see you in june and get some cuddle time. i've really missed friend affection. yours and a few others, specifically.

    and i really want to be there to see/support this transition, in person. but i support you from afar, for now. and this new doctor, sans the traditional trans expectations, sounds great for you.

    <3nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, Mel, you should totally start working out. If only to earn yourself a pair of beefy man arms. Then you can save money by only buying shirts without sleeves, :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neekole: I miss you, too! Bundles, always!

    And thanks for your support. I can't wait to see you in June. I'm too manly for "cuddle time" now, though. Sorry. ;P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!