Skip to main content

Beefy Twink

Over the weekend I volunteered at a No More Homeless Pets event called Super Adoptions. They love to stick me on the front gate where I try to look menacing (enough that pups don't escape or get stolen on my watch!), but friendly. I put little ribbons on pups coming in and check the paper work of pups heading out, pass out poop bags to dog walkers and remind people that kitties are indoors across the way.

It's so much fun watching previously homeless pups and cats get toted off to their new homes. Er, moving on.

In previous years at events like this where I interact with a gazillion + one strangers the gender interpretive reactions have varied, unless I spoke - which would then usually be met with an immediate female pronoun "correction" and apology.

This time it was all kinds of mixed, where I'd have some people using female pronouns and others, even after I'd say, "Awww, did you just adopt this little guy? Mind if I check your adoption papers?", they'd respond with something like, "Honey, could you get the papers for this guy out of my purse?", or ,"Stewie, put those down and hand those papers to him!"

Then, a very bizarre occurrence... occurred. An older gentleman in his 50s or so walks in with a shaggy black and white pup. I ask something along the lines of, "Hello! I'm going to stick this gorgeous neon orange ribbon on to your pup so we know he's not one of ours. You already have a home, dontcha!", to which the older feller responds, "That ribbon looks good. He loves it! Now, how would you like if I took you out to dinner?"

I was entirely caught off guard. First off, being assumed to be a really extremely mega-queer woman for as long as I can recall has made my reality pretty hit-on-by-older-men-free. And especially now, being acne and whisker-ridden in a purple shirt at a front gate with Aviators covered in dog smell, ... and, of course wondering, "Does he think I'm a boy or a girl or...?"

To gauge, I replied by pointing to my bearded cisgender male buddy, Ralph, and asking the older feller, "How about taking him to dinner?", to which he replied, "Oh no. He has a beard. I'm not into those." , Gah! Even more confusing!

While I was caught off guard in my fog of flabbergast'ness, a slew of traffic hit the gate and I bolted out of the conversation to tie ribbons and check paperwork and hand out poop bags and to scrunch the excess skin on puppy faces. Good timing, for sure.

I didn't see him again. No dinner from older gentlemans for me.

Comments

  1. You missed your chance to have a sugar daddy, you missed out big time.

    Don't ever move to Vegas. The people there are jaded by a plethora of butch lesbians; they only are accepting of M2F, this is my observation at least. I swear, no matter what I did or where I went EVERYONE went out of their way to let me know they knew I was a girl. But they are very accepting, that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kegg: Oh I missed out big time eh? I take it you know from experience? ;]

    Aside from the potential FTM non-acceptance in Vegas, there are about 198 other reasons I can think of off-hand NOT to move there. Unless I was still a high school student. In that case, their high schools are super pimp with funding galore. That marching band of theirs - woooo wee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cakes: Again? You and that bladder of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he just thought you were hot. Who cares about the gender he may have assumed for you. Compliments are compliments. You sexy bitch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous: Ha! I agree, by the way - it doesn't matter what gender he thought I was.

    BUT, since our culture IS very hung-up on gender (and how they perceive their own sexual orientations and act towards one's perceived gender) and my transition has entailed some different interactions/reactions from people that I haven't experienced before, it is a really titillating and wondrous learning curve.

    Ya know, like suddenly having older gentleman potential sugar daddies asking me out to dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, interesting situation to be in.

    Next time, maybe you could ask "Does it matter to you whether I'm male or female?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darkoshi: Or genderqueer or intersex or...? ;P

    I think that pointing at my bearded friend would've been enough, but "Anonymous" was right in pointing out that it doesn't matter. Some times my curiosity gets the best of me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, yes sure, if you don't want to go out with the person, then it doesn't matter. But if you were interested, and if the person answered that it didn't matter if you were male or female, then I'd assume they'd also not care if you're intersex or genderqueer, and it would at least get the topic out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  9. darkoshi: Good point. And it's an uber fun topic to rant and rave about in the first place, as has been demonstrated by my ridiculous blog. ;]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!