Skip to main content

Injection Day!

Just a few months ago the idea of sticking a needle into my thigh every 2 weeks wasn't, in the slightest, an enticing one. I went from whimpering and asking friends and family to do it for me to becoming the no needle fearin' boy I am today!

I just finished today's injection. I look forward to every other Thursday like it's a trans Christmas, when I get to inject again and experience my body and mind connect more and more every.single.day. It's wonderful. When preparing, I wipe the injection point on my thigh with a little alcohol wipe. I remember my first injection on December 11th when I wiped my hairless, soft thigh. Today? It's harder, and a twirl of wet hairs are left behind after wiping the area. Gross, I know. But great.

I'm still on the same prescription that I started out on - 100mg of Testosterone Cypionate every 2 weeks, injection via a 25g syringe into any muscle. Right after injecting I looked in the mirror to enthusiastically examine my facial hair development. Scarce, but definitely more noticeable every time I inspect. Just yesterday when I showed it off to a poor friend she commented, "Oh wow, I can actually see hairs this time without trying."

I'll do another pained photo documentation (but becoming less pained with time - never underestimate the power of desensitization) post haste.

Fortunately I switched pharmacies after becoming uninsured - to a pharmacy that carries Testosterone Cypionate in larger vials. The vials I'd been receiving before cost $60 per 2 injections. These vials? $60 per 10 injections. Expensive still, but MUCH more affordable.

I'm anxious about health insurance. I haven't had an appointment with my doctor since losing it, but I definitely need to go see her in the near future here. We need to see how my hormone levels are doing and if all is well - and if my prescription should be altered at all. I'm reluctant to make an appointment, having no idea how expensive it's going to be out-of-pocket without health insurance. 

I'm tempted to never make an appointment and to just call for prescription refills until I get the health insurance situation figured out but... I can't. I realize that I do need to be seen.

According to Hudson's Guide:
long-term testosterone treatment may cause the ovaries to develop similar symptoms as those seen in polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS). PCOS has been linked to increased risk of endometrial hyperplasia (a condition that occurs when the lining of the uterus (endometrium) grows too much) and thus endometrial cancer, as well as ovarian cancer.
and
It is not uncommon for trans men who are pre-hysterectomy to experience a buildup of endometrial tissue, especially during the first few years of testosterone therapy. Endometrial tissue is normally shed during menstruation, but since this process is usually stopped a few months into testosterone therapy, additional tissue may continue to build up and may eventually begin to shed in the form of spotting. Because irregular bleeding can be a sign of cancer (though this is often not the case), trans men who experience any bleeding/spotting should see a doctor who will perform tests to determine the cause of the spotting. These tests may include an endometrial biopsy and/or an ultrasound. The doctor may advise a short course of progesterone to cause the uterus to shed the excess endometrial tissue-- this is much like inducing a period. While this may be unpleasant, it should be understood as a preventative measure, since the unusual buildup of endometrial tissue has been linked to endometrial cancer.


Comments

  1. To reduce the pain of injections you may want to try using a smaller needle like a 25G or 27G if possible. The smaller the better.

    I use a 30G 0.5" needle, 1cc syringe, for my testosterone therapy. Works like a charm and no pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian: Thanks for the advice! Injections haven't been painful with the 25g syringe. The only pain, initially, was figuring out how to get the thick testosterone goop into the syringe without a slew of air bubbles following along. ;]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!