Skip to main content

Bro Exchange

This past week I've been really trying to get some freelance web design projects going. I do have a few projects underway presently, and I'm really excited.

I rode my scooter to meet some friends up at a nearby college campus. Parking on campus without a permit is a strict no-no. I learned that lesson after bicycling up there a while ago and locking my bicycle up to a pole. I was only away for about 5 minutes and returned to discover a note taped to my bicycle frame. Someone, presumably a ticket cop, had scrawled: "This is a warning notice. If this bicycle is found in violation of [campus] rules again ... will be removed ... use a bicycle rack...".

I was astounded. If a bicycle locked to a pole got their attention so swiftly, there's no way I'll gamble on parking the scooter up there.

Wanting to get as close to campus as possible without actually being on campus, I decided to park along the side of one of the nearby frat houses in a little shady nook. As I removed my helmet, and someone caught me off-guard and asked, as verbatim as I can recall, "Are you new to phi pheta (insert nonsensical-to-me frat name here)?", to which I replied, "Oh, uh, no. I'm just a friend. Hey, do you have any idea where the old physics building is?". He scratched his head, looked around, "No, man, I have no idea. Are you in a hurry?" I told him that I was and, as I began to head off, he held out his hand to introduce himself, "I'm Mike." I accepted the shake, "Mel." As our hands were interlocked and shaking ensued, he slapped me on the shoulder with his other hand and said, "I'll see you again some time bro!"

That officially counts as my first "bro" social interaction with a stranger.

Despite how bizarre the interaction was for me, it was also a fun experience.

Comments

  1. Haha, I can see where your first genuine bro-ment could have left you feeling giddy. I mean, it doesn't matter which neck of the woods you hail from. Fraternities ALWAYS equal the ultimate house of... bro's.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...