Skip to main content

Equality Utah Allies Dinner & Men's Restroom Etiquette

I just got home from volunteering at the Equality Utah's Annual Allies Dinner where I learned that Equality Utah has only been around for 8 years. Seriously? Only 8 years? I was surprised because so much has happened in such a small amount of time. Going from just one out politician here in Utah to a whole slew of them AND allies, LGBT legislation, lobbyist trainings, on and on presently. It seems that even when progress happens incrementally - it does happen, and a whole lot faster than it feels.

This article makes me happy, too:
What's Right With Utah
By Lisa Duggan

Forget everything you think you know about Utah. Yes, it's the reddest state in the union and the headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS). For the past twenty-five years, Republicans have had a virtual lock on statewide offices. Utah hasn't voted for a Democrat for president since 1964, and last year the state chose John McCain over Barack Obama by almost a 2-to-1 margin. Read More >
Men's Restroom Etiquette

On more than one occasion I've walked in to the men's restroom aiming for a stall, but discover that someone is already sitting on the toilet in the one and only stall in the bathroom.

In contrast to most women's restrooms, there's almost always just one stall. The first time I was greeted with this scenario I waited for about 8 seconds listening to a guy doing his business from a stall in the otherwise silent atmosphere. Feeling uncomfortable, I stepped out and waited outside the door. Re-entered a few minutes later and he was still in the stall. Stepped out. Then another guy walked in and as soon as I heard the sink about a minute later, I re-entered to find the guy who was just in the stall washing his hands and the guy who had entered after me was now in the stall.

Gah!

The second time I was met with this scenario I didn't step out and instead waited awkwardly by the sinks as out-of-the-way of urinals or the stall possible. I looked at the floor, at the ceiling, ANYWHERE but the urinals; but the whole scenario was just, terribly awkward.

In a women's restroom, it was always self-explanatory. Stalls are all occupied? Form a line along the wall. Wait. In a men's restroom? There's rarely room for line formation and anywhere is awkwardly close to the urinals in most situations. So what's usual? What's normal wait-for-stall-in-mens-restroom etiquette? Is there any?

Comments

  1. I usually pursue one of two courses: A) if I have some indication he's almost done (toilet paper rolling, shifting, etc.) I usually pretend to wash my hands/awkwardly hang out at the sink until he's out. B) If all I'm hearing is groaning, I leave and find another bathroom.

    Bonus tip: When there are multiple stalls, the closest stall to the door is usually the cleanest in men's room. The furthest is usually the most used and thus the dirtiest.

    Thanks for volunteering last night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And all ya wanna do it pee. **sigh**

    Can't win in these bathrooms, can we? LOL

    I would honestly just leave and try to find a restroom somewhere else. Props for waiting through the awkwardness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, men's room etiquette is a struggle to navigate. I can't speak for anyone else, but if the stalls are all occupied, and I need to use one, I leave, just as you did and come back at a later time. Hopefully it isn't an emergency situation. :)

    Sounds like you have it down though. Don't look at the urinals if someone is using them, because that can make some guys feel uncomfortable.

    But I already have numerous public restroom issues, so maybe someone without so many neuroses could help. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just wait outside the stalls, in the room - otherwise, as you've learned, you aren't considered "in line".

    I learned overseas not to talk while waiting - seems pretty common world-wide male thing to not talk mch in a bathroom.

    If the odor gets too great find another washroom. :-)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will: Ha! Thanks for the extra tip about which stall to aim for. Closest stall to the door it is.

    On a side note, thank YOU for being so amazing. All of the tedious lobbying, your work in Equality Utah, the debate with Sutherland, at the allies dinner, at the panel last night fighting for your trans allies, and on and on and on. You're wonderful and inspiring. :]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess: Well, I do have my nifty piss n' packer for urinals. However, I still haven't had the nerve to use it in public. One day!

    In the meantime, one perk of mens restrooms is not experiencing the anxiety I'd become familiar with throughout the years of using womens, where security is called or I'm told that I'm in the wrong place.

    But now? I'm experiencing the cons of awkward stall waiting in a potent air soup of fecal matter and urine. What a world, what a world. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boyd: Ha! Thanks for the tips. I'll probably opt to just wander off and aim for another bathroom. Or get up the nerve to start using my piss n' packer at urinals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. electricbob: The odor is amazing. After 8 months of this I still haven't acclimated to it. Ew.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!