Skip to main content

My First Shave

First it's manscaping. And now it's my first shave. I went through my usual routine:

1. Apply shaving cream
2. Shave (only going over the same spots twice, max!)
3. Rinse
4. Pat dry
5. Apply soothing shave lotion

And, this time, an additional component:

6. Notice blood above lip!

I was aghast. I got a little piece of toilet paper and stuck it on the bloody spot. I didn't know what else to do and took a tip from the movies.



I thought I had this shaving thing down. I've shaved before hormone therapy, but these new facial hair arrivals are something I haven't encountered before. Kids Health relates to their puberty-ridden audience who are coming across these coarse, foreign whiskers for the first time with:
You looked different this morning. While brushing your teeth, you gazed into the mirror and there it was — hair sprouting all over your face. It's definitely cool, but you're not quite sure whether you want to grow that big bushy beard and mustache just yet. It's time to start shaving (as if you didn't have enough things to do first thing in the morning).
I suspect that the blades of my razor may have been dull, so it seems I'm going to have to start investing in new blades more often. And I'm going to follow eHow's instructions next time, step by precious step. They suggest starting with a washcloth and to:
...run it under hot water. Ring it out and apply it to your face... Allow the washcloth to sit over your face and neck for two minutes. This will allow your skin to soften and your pores to open.
Will do.

On the plus side, I'm so proud to experience my first shave. Manscaping and then this. Too much joy to contain!

Comments

  1. Hey, congratulations on your first shave cut! I'm sure it must be far more difficult than it seems. I'm really glad to have found your blog and be a witness of your process. Thank you very much for sharing!
    Peace,
    Lady C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Capulet: Why, we're online at the same time! I just barely posted in your blog about the little kittens you came across while dumpstering. :(

    In other news, thank you for the congrats. I'm very proud indeed. So proud I'm almost tempted to go out in public next time it happens with my little toilet paper square still stuck on there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Veganbattlebot: Yup, IN the dumpster..I just can't understand how someone can look at such a beautiful creature and treat it like garbage. It gets me nauseous.

    So anyway. Hope you improve your shaving technique and become the envy of the neighbourhood :)
    Peace,
    Layd C.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice. At least you have an excuse if you cut yourself...you're a dude, guys shave...me...I have to get creative to play off the fact I was shaving my face while in the shower (because I was too lazy to wax)...ugh, when will I learn. I hope you rocked the cut...I would think that it would be some sort of rite of passage?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! I'll admit there isn't one time that I shave that I don't bleed a little bit. Maybe I'm in a hurry? Maybe my face just isn't baby smooth anymore? I dunno, it just happens.


    A couple tips though:
    1) Use a shaving cream with aloe.
    2) Apply the shaving cream, and don't shave right away. I know it sounds absurd, but if you let it sit on your face for five to ten minutes it will better penetrate the hairs making them softer and thereby allowing a more comfortable shave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tommy: You may enjoy this, a site called 'How Facial Hair Influences Women's Everday Experiences' over at http://www.dbeechy.com/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. GaySLC: Oooo I'll try your tips. I'll get good at this, dag nabbit! I'll be the smoothest shave in town! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vegan, may I suggest something?
    I think maybe next time after getting a cut (but I hope you don't get a shaving cut anymore), you may dab some alum. Alum is a natural antiseptic and should be used post shave for a calming and healing effect on the skin.
    As for me, prior on shaving, I prepare my facial skin first by using a badger shaving brush. Some people forgot that a shaving brush is really essential for it lifts the facial hairs from the skin, thus, makes shaving easier plus it helps avoid cuts.
    If you still cut yourself while shaving, please remember to check the angle of your razor from your skin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect Shave: Thanks for the info! I hadn't ever thought of a shaving brush. I'll check the link out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!