Skip to main content

Health Care

I need to refill my prescription, soon. I have one needle and enough testosterone cypionate for one injection remaining. I don't have health insurance, but absolutely need to make an appointment with my doctor to get a prescription and to have my hormone levels checked. There are a lot of health issues that could arise from hormone therapy that really need to be carefully monitored.

According to Hudson's FTM Resource Guide:

In order to monitor your health while taking testosterone, your doctor will perform a variety of tests in the laboratory-- mostly blood tests. During the first year of testosterone therapy, your doctor should perform blood tests every three or four months. This will be especially helpful in determining an appropriate T dose, as the data found in the blood tests can be used to adjust your dosage amount and/or timing if necessary. If no major problems arise in your blood work during the first year of treatment, blood tests can be taken every six months during the second year. Once into the third year of treatment, blood tests can be performed once per year if no complications arise.
I've had blood tests before, but while I had health insurance. I'm nervous about the cost without it. For instance, I need a serum total testosterone test, which is necessary for my doctor to see what my current levels of "free" and "bound" testosterone are (testosterone exists in the bloodstream in these two forms) and serve as a guideline to measure my progress so far.

And if I had health insurance, I'd also want my doctor to some other tests - like a complete blood count (testosterone raises the levels in this department, and shouldn't go higher than the average male range), liver function tests (liver health can be affected by the use of testosterone; it's metabolized here, for pete's sake), clotting factors test (testosterone has been reported to suppress clotting factors), lipid profile tests (a group of tests that help determine risk of coronary heart disease), and a blood pressure test (my blood pressure had already significantly risen the last time I was able to get a test done), etc.

Hudson's Guide has more detailed info a the potential side effects of testosterone and recommended tests for health care here.

But without health insurance, I won't be able to afford these tests.

Just 9 months ago I felt so prepared and confident about starting hormone therapy. I had been employed for 3 years with health insurance. After all of that time, I felt secure in my employment and started my journey. I knew that hormone therapy has a radical impact on my health and had waited for the most ideal time logistically. Even though it would have been far better for my mental health to start much, much earlier.

And then one day, after three years, I head in to work like I had every other day. And with absolutely no warning, I walk out without a job and without health insurance. A rug was pulled out from underneath me, just like that. I'm fortunate to have unemployment, but it isn't enough to solve my health insurance problem. All of the insurance plans I've found for people in my situation aren't affordable.

I felt so much relief after hearing President Obama's speech on health care. And I really, really hope that the present administration makes progress with that because the health care situation in the U.S. right now is a mess. And a crisis. It's not okay.


Comments

  1. gah! so frustrating.

    i'm excited about your blog, though. i haven't seen you in years. good luck with all of this.

    hit me up if you're in the bay area, it would be great to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine: It's way frustrating. But all in good time. And I totally will! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!