Skip to main content

The Gym, The Appointment, and The Trannies

Last Saturday Athens Boys Choir - a trans spoken word artist named Harvey Katz - performed in Salt Lake City at an independent cafe located in a low-income area of the city. I grew up in that area and hadn't been there for quite some after I moved out. I was very pleasantly surprised by how vegan-friendly and cozy this Mestizo Cafe is. I'm a fan.

It also helped that the place was packed with gender variance and transtastic'ness galore.

Harvey Katz was excellent. He did his spoken word thang, then his singing song let's dance thang. During the spoken word portion I was caught off guard slightly by the audience finger snapping during certain parts or bursting out with "Mmmms!". It was distracting, but apparently a thing that happens at spoken word events. I know, because I did a quick Google search on it after the event. And I found that I'm not alone.

After one person asked on a forum why people snap during poetry sessions, members responded:
"I don't know why. I felt stupid not doing when everybody else was. Then I felt real stupid when I did it. I probably shoulda asked somebody." 
"people still snap their fingers?" 
"In the fifties, and perhaps in the forties, small clubs in Greenwich Village that featured poetry readings were located in basements of residential buildings. The scaled-down applause kept the clubs from being evicted as public nuisances."
Is that last response true? Even if it isn't, it's a good explanation for now.

Moving on.

Gym Issues

The gym has become more difficult lately. I've decided to opt out of both the locker rooms these past couple of weeks. After reactions became increasingly more threatened and shocked by my presence in the women's locker room I've stopped going in there. And since I haven't had top surgery yet and refuse to tightly bind for a sweaty workout session, the men's locker room isn't an option yet either.

Or is it?

After perusing around for potential options, I stumbled across a binder from Underworks that advertises itself as,
They see a perfectly fitted soft to the skin cotton spandex knit muscle shirt that stretches and recoils as your body moves but on the inside are powerful layers of nylon spandex knit binding your chest, flattening your belly and pressing against your back in support. Wear it to workout or down the street, the compression is a secret between you and your shirt. A chest binder breakthrough!
Wear it to workout? I'm skeptical.

But I'm desperate, so I decided to fall for it and fork over the precious pennies to acquire this thing. And about a week ago I received it: The Cotton Concealer Compression Muscle Shirt, Style 974 from Underworks. I got a large, 40-43. And guess what? I actually can work out in it.

It's slightly more difficult to do so than the sports bra I'd been wearing, but a lot more comfortable than my other binders or the jarring dysphoria trigger of having my chest loose.

The first time I worked out in this binder was on chest/tricep day, which turned out to be a bad idea. Afterward the right area of my chest did ache a small bit, which I suspect is due to it being larger than the left side. More to compress.

I have worn it to the gym every time since and I haven't had any aches or pains. I have to exert myself a bit more on the cardio machines, but not a significant amount or enough that I'm concerned about my health or physical well-being. And even though it doesn't bind as efficiently as what I wear when not at the gym, it does a good enough job that I may be able to navigate the men's locker room long enough to use the loo or stuff my junk in a locker.

Assuming I get over being so nervous about it.

I'm also nervous about the staff there, including the inquisitive knows-me-by-name gym manager. He's a nice guy, but I'm wondering if I should just be forward with him and tell him that I'm transgender, I've started hormone therapy, and I'm going to start using the men's locker room and see where it goes. I'm waiting, biding my time, building up the nerve.

So far I have made sure to go every time with a gym buddy who can put my stuff in their locker for me.

It's clear already that there's a measure of curiosity going on with the staff who have seen me going in since months before I'd started hormone therapy. Earlier this week I opted to wear basketball shorts instead of the long track pants I usually wear. This was a new move for me and my body hair has become a lot more abundant than it was prior to hormone therapy. Again, I'm nervous. But I'm wearing them.

Doctor Appointment Update

I have an appointment with my doctor December 7th. I've been nervous about it for some time now since losing my health insurance. Last Thursday I injected the last remaining droplets of testosterone from my previous prescription and have no choice but to go in and have my hormone levels checked, update the dosage I'm taking and get a new prescription.

And December 11th is my ONE YEAR TRANNIVERSARY! Woo! I hope it ends up becoming another excuse for my loved ones to give me presents.

p.s. an adorable cisgender female trans lovin' friend of mine went and bought a t-shirt from Original Plumbing that says "NOBODY KNOWS I'M A TRANSSEXUAL". How adorable is that!? Not only is it adorable that she's going to strut around with this awesome shirt, but she also snagged it before I even knew Original Plumbing had shirts.


p.s.s. Which reminds me of the time I went to my parents home a few years back and my mom had a local drag king calendar plastered on the front room wall. When I asked what it was and where she got it she replied, "Oh, your father and I bought it from the Utah Pride Center." Aww!

Comments

  1. We saw ABC in Northampton MA a few years back at Pride and we liked his work alot. It was outdoor, so people didn't snap or do those distracting things you've mentioned though.

    Cool for you about getting that new binder to work out in. I haven't worn a binder in a pretty long time. I decided finally that they are just too itchy/uncomfortable and I've been wearing sports bras on a daily basis.

    I avoid both locker rooms too. I've never seen the inside of either room at my gym.

    Congrats on the upcoming T-versary and for getting that long awaited Dr appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha your mom's adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk to the gym man, I will talk to him and say I was curious for myself.... Just talk to him. :)

    One thing I thought of... I don't know if it would be comfortable or not.... Would wearing said sports bra under the binder aid in less flopping more security? I like to wear mine under my binders and it seems to help with support more, but I don't work out in my binders so.....Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently had my last gym classes ever (at school), and the last two times I went into the boys' locker room :) The second time, there were a bunch of classmates near the door, but I decided to go in anyway. It felt so empowering.

    Yeah, they knew me as female, and yeah, my chest was visible through my shirt; but I figured it was safe enough. I don't know if gyms are that safe, though. The guys are probably larger.

    Congratulations on finding that binder and daring to wear shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "the inquisitive knows-my-name-and-runs-around-the-gym manager" His name is Jared and is the same way with me. My theory is... farfetched as the first option might be, I like to think its a possibility, he is either ftm himself or just very aware of us generambiguous people. Cuz I never see him make a point to use anyone elses name, not that I see his every move but you know what I mean. He seems nice enough and I think you should just tell him, I'm sure it will be fine, after all... it's a judgement free zone! Let me know how it turns out. And if your interested in a new workout buddy just gimme a hollar, since I haven't started on T yet I can still nevagate the ladies lockeroom pretty well without too many second looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess: Outdoor with no snapping? Now THAT sounds awesome.

    I don't blame you for the sports bra shindig. Personally, after experiencing Underworks binders, I'm liking T-Kingdom less and less. They're FAR more uncomfortable for taller guys and are made for little dudes, it seems. The exception being the T-Kingdom Model 801 - which I still love, and will use over binders that aren't binding sufficiently after a day of wear. :]

    I've been trying to avoid the locker rooms at my gym, but I always have crap on me to stick in the lockers. I bicycle and have a helmet, a bag, clothes to change... I think I'll just crack and have a talk with the manager, see if we can get a safe option worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kegg: Well, the shirt itself binds "enough" that it doesn't compress my breathing too much or restrict my movement. If I wore more than that, I can see it becoming a problem. I'll try once or twice, though; see how it feels.

    Right now, I'm mostly anxious about the fact that I've been going there for some time now and would have a situation trying to use the mens locker room. Or having the manager or a staff person see me in there, knowing that my name is "Melanie" (which I'm finally in the process of changing!). I think, after the name change, I'll take your advice and will just talk to the manager and figure something out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. genderkid: That's inspiring. I'm on the verge of just walking in there, giving it a go. I did get brave enough to walk in there to use the restroom. But then after I finished I walked out and gave my stuff to my mom to put in her locker.

    Baby steps. ;]

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should just go into the locker room with Josh sometime, play it like "hey, just two guys hanging out". He gots yo back fuh real.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!