Skip to main content

Tom, Your Neighborhood Citizen Lobbyist

I haven't been to the gym for almost 2 weeks due to having no idea how to navigate the locker rooms. Since I'm no longer able to use the women's locker room I've been in a state of gym limbo, where I developed a temporarily satisfactory go-to-gym-IN-gym-outfit plan. But that plan doesn't always work out. For instance, if I'm out somewhere where I can't just hang out in my gym outfit, I need to pack my outfit and having somewhere to change is important - or at the least having somewhere to put my stuff.

I have walked into the men's locker room twice now - once with my dad - and only made it as far as the restroom before I backed out with my heart thudding in my chest.

NOT having a locker room to go to at the gym - or somewhere to safely change - is a problem.

I keep meaning to bring myself to get the manager's attention and talk to him privately about my situation and if they have a restroom somewhere I could use to change. But every time I get close to doing so, he's either darting around looking busy or surrounded by other employees. I haven't gotten up the nerve yet, which is surprising to me.

It's important to me to be open and out. I also have the right like any other gym-goer to have access to a safe locker room. I'm pretty sure that he would react well. BUT, since I haven't been able to talk to him yet, I've been making preparations to work out from home. Which, despite being a more lonesome work out endeavor, is working out so far.

I'm giving P90X a go. Which is probably for the best. I have a pull-up bar and some resistance bands. And I don't feel like I have to wear a binder at home.

Citizen Lobbyist Training

Earlier tonight I went to Equality Utah's Citizen Lobbyist training up at the Capital. It was a pain to find since my friend and I had absolutely no idea where the auditorium was located (we were wandering around in the wrong building for about 10 minutes - and bumped into three other people who were also lost). We had bicycled up and entered through the front entrance - right smack into some privately reserved wedding reception.

Eventually and after many round-a-bout circles we found an open door that led to a hallway that led to a cracked door with the lights on. I knocked and a guy inside told us to come in. Boom! And there we were, standing in a senator's office who happened to be working late. I asked him if he knew where the auditorium was and he informed me that we're in the wrong building. He provided us directions and about 10 minutes later and gaining access to "employee-only" entrances we finally found it. Gadz!

I suspect that people driving cars went a different route and through a different entrance near a parking lot that made it easier to find for them.

Whining aside, all the strenuous hunting paid off.  Most of the training focused on demystifying our representatives and lobbying. A lot of reminders that "They're just people. Farmers. Single moms. Business owners. Don't be intimidated.", and pounding in that friendly e-mailing, letter writing and meeting face-to-face to share how certain bills or issues personally affect you are frequently brought up by the representatives as real-life examples on the floor and peer-to-peer.

It was encouraging and insightful.

Other Updates

Earlier today when I called about changing my cell phone plan the employee on the other end read my voice as male. For a little over two months now I've noticed that when speaking to strangers the whole gender thing has been avoided until they pull up account information with the name "Melanie", then they use feminine pronouns. BUT today, despite pulling up my account number, he used masculine pronouns.

A few weeks ago my brother and I had to visit one of my phone provider's locations. My brother joined me at the counter as I corresponded with the employee, who was referring to me in masculine pronouns and also by various names such as "Boss", "Sir", and "Dude". When he pulled up my account information, he asked who "Melanie" was. I replied that I'm Melanie. He told me that it's a strange name, and then asked what he could do for me.

Related to this, the majority of the time that I use my debit card people are assuming that my last name, Thomas, must be my first name. So now a lot of people have been calling me "Tom".

Comments

  1. Dad and I named you Melanie so that you would learn how to handle the hard knocks in life just like the boy named Sue.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mom is so funny!!!

    I stared at that damn picture of that man above trying to see the differences... I think the only thing that’s different, he went tanning and has on different shorts.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom: Ooo!

    Kegg: There so isn't.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...