Skip to main content

Binder Reviews

It's about time for a binder review now that I've blown through a few or two with my sweaty binder obliterating bicycling from here to there and back around again lifestyle.

So, to start with, I'm not large chested; but I'm not super small chested, either. I'm also a larger guy at 5'11'' and 200lbs - which meant that I learned fast that T-Kingdom (a Taiwanese company) binders were definitely made for MUCH smaller dudes.

For shipping and sizing, Underworks has always been spot on when it comes to shipping stuff fast and also with item returns. Twice now I've ordered a binder and, once received, tried it on to learn that it was either too small or too large. Then I'd put the product back in its packaging, throw the receipt in with my corrections scribbled on it, mail it back and they swiftly send another in the correct size. No question.

Here's my 2 cents on binders I've tried, most excellent to most lame:


T-Kingdom M801: This is definitely a T-Kingdom exception for me. This was the first binder I purchased and it has been my favorite. It's fast to put on, it's the least hot/uncomfortable binder I own AND it binds well by itself for a day after washing. If I wear it more than once, it expands a bit and fits perfectly over a looser binder. In either scenario, when I need a break I can covertly unzip it and zip it back up, no problem.


Underworks Style 974: Second favorite. It's extremely comfortable and I frequently combine it with the T-Kingdom M801 if I want a particularly flat chest. This is also the binder that I use at the gym. On the downside, because of the cotton outer-portion it can get a bit hot under a shirt. It also doesn't bind too tight, which works with certain shirts and not others.


Underworks Style 988: Not as comfortable as the muscle shirt, but also not uncomfortable. This is the most comfortable binder I've worn so far that binds enough alone without the help of the T-Kingdom M801. The picture above makes it look like the entire thing is tight but, in reality, it only compresses at the top and turns into a light cotton shirt at the bottom. I love this for lighter shirts because it looks just like an undershirt. It's also better for hot days because my stomach/lower-back skin can breathe (unlike the 974, which is snug all over). The only con I've experienced with it so far is that it can cause my lower back to ache a bit after a while, but not always.


Underworks Style 967: Comfortable and would definitely bind smaller-chests enough - but it sucks without a piss-n-packer because it's an entire body suit. Without it, I have to remove my shirt in order to get it pulled down. Another con is that the compression pulls my shoulders forward on this one more than my other binders, so I feel like I'm in a constant struggle to stand up straight.


Underworks Style 918 (Swim Tank): Not long enough for tall guys, but compresses more effectively than any other binder I've tried. I will only wear it for very short periods of time when I want a super flat chest in a tight shirt. I haven't felt comfortable going swimming with it yet, but I suspect I'd rather just float around in the water with it vs. actually doing any swimming because of how compressed I am in it.


T-Kingdom Model 1700: HATED it. It killed my lower-back. The Velcro was a pain in my side to work with. I gave it away to my poor schlub friend, Erin. Hopefully it works for his body type better.


T-Kingdom Model 1980: Really disliked this one. It was really uncomfortable. And it was so short that I had to constantly tuck and re-tuck it into my pants. I considered sewing additional material to it for tucking, but the soft material would've shredded even sooner. And it only last for about 5 months before it fell apart on me. Literally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...