Skip to main content

Transgender Day of Remembrance 2010

Today is Transgender Day of Remembrance, which happens every year to pay tribute to individuals who have died due to anti-transgender hatred or prejudice.

Related to this, a recent U.S. transgender discrimination survey found that 41 percent of trans people in the United States have attempted suicide, which is more than 25 times the national average. Sadness! And definitely a very clear illustration of one of the many consequences that stem from misunderstanding, ignorance, and discrimination. Just released yesterday on MSNBC:

Transgender Americans face high suicide risk
November 19, 2010 - A staggering 41 percent of transgender people in the United States have attempted to commit suicide, according to a new survey. About 19 percent of transgender people report being refused medical care because of their gender-nonconforming status, and a shocking 2 percent have been violently assaulted in a doctor's office. Read More >
On a more uplifting note, things are -much- better now than they were ten years ago, twenty years ago... Thanks to my trans predecessors, the history of our LGBQT movement, the allies and non-bigots, awareness, and openness there has been increasing acceptance, support, knowledge and exposure. Let's keep on truckin' on and making it better n' better!



Comments

  1. just watched "the brandon teena story." what a stud. drove through laramie, wyoming two weeks ago, feeling beautiful gay ghosts hanging over. keep fighting the good fight, brother -- and hope yr top surgery funds only increase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gadz, I passed through Laramie once upon a time and felt all on-guard goosebumpy. Anyway, thank you for posting and for the top surgery rooting! :]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...