Skip to main content

School Pride, Youth Center & Recent Trans Survey!

Earlier this week I received an e-mail from my school asking if some other students and I wouldn't mind being photographed for some promotional brochures for our school. I have never, ever been asked to appear on promotional materials for anything. We were asked to wear colorful clothes and multiple layers.

I couldn't help but wonder why I'd been invited to appear in a photo shoot for school promotional materials. Is it my funny floppy gauged ears? My tattoos? Was I chosen as some aesthetically alternative bastion of liberalism?

Whatever the reason, I couldn't resist and immediately agreed to it. Images came to my mind of hopping on steps with college kids throwing school books in the air or posing with smiles or skipping or rolling around in bright green grass or... who knows what. Something epic, no doubt.

I wore a bright purple shirt and a vest. That particular day was super sunny, but the windchill factor was freezing. Yet, between shoots, we were asked to remove our coats and try to appear warm and happy. They had us run up stairs, hop, smile, walk down the stairs chatting and smiling. It was so, so good - and I can't wait to, hopefully, at some point in the near future, receive the pictures to plaster on my blog.

On a really exhausting but positive-fun note, for my Adolescent Development class we're required to do at least 35 hours of "service learning with adolescents" by the end of the semester. For this, I have been volunteering in the T.I.N.T. (youth center) of the Utah Pride Center every week for 5 hours. It's astounding how much energy adolescents have. They're loud. They bounce from one thing to another. They crumble popcorn on microwaved pizza. They put wigs on me and laugh. For 5 hours every week, essentially, I'm a human pinata.

And love it.

The kids there are so cute. I've volunteered throughout the years in the past and, while there are fun and adorable aspects to it, other aspects are just, ... difficult. There are homeless LGBQT youth who come there and, while they're able to have food and a warm, safe place to stay during the day - come 9pm, they're out on their own, doing who knows what to survive. Hopefully somewhere safe, but most likely not.

It's sad how homophobia/transphobia could result in literally kicking one's child out to fend for themselves on the streets. Who end up doing drugs at night to stay awake so they're not hurt or raped - until morning comes and they can find somewhere safe and warm to sleep.

On a semi-related sweet but sad note, my grandma sent me a Facebook message today with a link to the following article of survey results from the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the National Center for Transgender Equality that have just been released. It's of 6,450 transgender people and is the largest of its kind:

Transgender activists face multiple challenges


NEW YORK (AP) — Many transgender Americans face intolerance in almost every aspect of their lives, contributing to high levels of homelessness, unemployment and despair, according to a comprehensive survey being released Friday.

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and the National Center for Transgender Equality say their survey of 6,450 transgender people is the largest of its kind. It details discrimination encountered "at every turn" — in childhood homes, in schools and workplaces, at stores and hotels, at the hands of doctors, judges, landlords and police.

"Their lives are just a crapshoot," said Rea Carey, executive director of the task force. "They don't know from one interaction to the next whether they will be treated with respect and dignity. It's not the way people should be living their day-to-day life." Read more >

According to the survey, 41 percent of the transgender respondents reported attempting suicide - almost half.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!