Skip to main content

Hygiene, School, n’ Benefit!

I actually have a 5 o’ clock shadow. I’m not quite sure when it appeared as, out of sheer laziness in the personal hygiene department throughout last semester, I didn’t shave much. But in a spontaneous fit of I’m-shaggy-and-can’t-take-it-anymore!!! hysteria I ran to the barber and forked over $15 to get all hair cut dappered out. At some point the barber inquired, “Are you growing a beard?”, to which I replied, “Not intentionally. I just haven’t shaved.” Taking that as a green flag to buzz my face, next thing I knew my facial hair was gone - and stubble remained. 5 o’ clock shadow stubble! I can’t stop admiring it.

In other news, this “Sex in the Brain” class I’m in is extremely interesting. Especially the part (so far) where we’ve learned about testosterone receptors in the amygdala, the part of the brain related to things like aggression and fear. Anyway, since I’d helped the same professor for this class put together a transgender panel for another class last semester, she asked me to help put together a couple of panels for this class, too (she teaches two different sections of the same class) - one of which I’ll be in any way.

It’ll be interesting, to walk into class on the last day and, instead of taking a seat with the class as I usually do, to sit down in front of the class with the two other panelists.

So tomorrow is the “benefit party” to get the rest of the money I need for my top surgery (scheduled August 11th) which will be at a local club in downtown Salt Lake City called The Metro. I’m excited for it - and also really, really overwhelmed by and grateful for how insanely supportive everyone has been. I’m not listing names because, that’ll just get ridiculous real fast - but thank you to everyone who helped organize this. Everyone who has agreed to perform, my friend who found the venue in the first place, and my friend at The Metro who allowed use of the venue (and booked DJ Lucky Date that night and helped organize!), to everyone who has spent days and hours gathering raffle prizes, helping to promote… and in-advance thanks for my friends who will be helping a bunch during tomorrow night and everyone attending - … just, wow.

You’re all really appreciated. I’m moved beyond words - and also excited to have a good excuse for a really fun dancy dance tranimal party with a bunch of my adorable friends and cute people.

I can’t wait to run amok topless. And to date again. And to go to the gym. And bicycle without binding. And to feel the HUGE self-esteem boost. And, and and.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...