Skip to main content

New Acne Regiment - hippy style!

2nd puberty, more boy androgens, acne. Seriously.

When I first started hormone therapy, I couldn’t believe how fast the acne crept up in ways and places it never had before. First the bacne, then the tingling nerve tissue a week prior to clusters of swollen zits surfacing. Finally, I cracked and began using benzoyl peroxide for the first time in my life out of sheer acne-ridden desperation. The pro? It cleared up my acne - significantly. The cons? Have to pile on moisturizer like crazy, otherwise my skin gets all red and flaky. My skin has also become 80xs more sensitive to sunlight.

After a year of the acne.org regiment, I’ve decided to take my light-sensitive clear skin for granted and ween my tender flesh off the benzoyl - and on to a new hippie regiment I hope will work.

So my new regiment, per a friend’s suggestion and passed down via her face doctor mom: 1. Rinse face with gentle cleanser. Let air dry. I’ve been using Dr.Bronner’s gentle castile baby soap.


2. Apply witch hazel. I use little cotton pads to do this, gently. I’ve been using Nature’s Treatments Witch Hazel. This is an astringent, which should help clear my skin. Witch hazel helps to minimise facial pores (less gunk in pores = less acne). It also removes excessive oils from skin, which helps get rid of current acne and prevent future acne. The natural anti-inflammatory properties of witch hazel should also help reduce the swelling and redness that comes with massive puberty zits.


3. Then a thin layer of aloe vera! I use Aloe Life Skin Gel. Apparently there are bundles of soothing properties and antibacterial and anti fungal activities in Aloe Vera. It helps to reduce infection and inflammation and also acts as a moisturiser. Aloe Vera also apparently aids in regenerating damaged tissue, but isn’t an acne solution to cure acne by itself.



4. I let this dry. Then spot treatment with tea tree/lavender oil. I found a combo of the two at Whole Foods from Desert Essence. Basically, spot application of tea tree oil to blemishes can help reduce irritation and bacteria - and lavender oil is a more soothing, healing oil. Double win!


5. Then I apply gentle moisturiser (currently my leftover acne.org moisturizer, then I’m switching to Vanicream Lite Lotion) with a couple drops of jojoba oil.

~FIN~

We’ll see how this goes. I’m hoping that this will work without making my skin all insta-burn sensitive to the sun all summer long. Didn’t enjoy that not one bit last summer. If anyone has any input on the above, let me know!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!