Skip to main content

Queers? Gore? Elvira? SOLD. All About Evil @ the Damn These Heels LGBT Film Fest!

Just saw the Salt Lake City premiere of a dark comedy called All About Evil as part of this weekend’s Damn These Heels LGBQT film festival - and oooooh was I amused. The official synopsis-
All About Evil is a wicked black comedy set in the world of a horror movie about a mousy librarian (Lyonne) who inherits her father’s beloved but failing old movie house. In order to save the family business she discovers her inner serial killer – and a legion of rabid gore fans – when she starts turning out a series of grisly shorts. What her fans don’t realize yet is that the murders in the movies are all too real!
Upon walking in to the theatre my chums and I were greeted by two “evil twins” in drag donning sexy red bellhop costumes. They were completely in-character with scowls across their faces, silent and solemn, as they handed out little Dixie cups (this made sense after watching the film).

Then, the director, Joshua Grannell, arrived on stage as Peaches Christ - his epic drag queen alter ego:


… with an uber queer Salt Lake City entourage in monster costumes, including one of my most favorite trans activists ever, Princess Kennedy. They performed the following opening bit, which is essentially the storyline of the movie:

(This is from the Castro premiere. Same song and similar performance so you get the gore gore gist of it; but when and if the SLC version appears, I’m replacing this!)

And then the lights dimmed and the movie began. It was a straight up celebration of B-horror movies and their devoted legions of followers (like me!) and it also celebrates independent single screen theaters, like the one we watched it in - The Tower Theatre in Salt Lake City, Utah.

In the end I knew, for sure, that All About Evil is way up there on my list of favorite gonna-be-a-cult-classic rompy horror comedies ever. It’s a campy stampede of blood, boobs and gore that’s entirely a horrored out homage to John Waters.

I loved it - particularly creepy old Mr. Twigs, played by Jack Donner (widely known as Romulan Subcommander Tal in the original Star Trek). Also super fond of the fact that Cassandra Peterson (better known as Elvira!) made a prominent appearance as the concerned mother of a son who is obsessed with horror movies. She is my favorite vegan babe ever.


The horror-obsessed son was a sub-plot to the whole shindig that I related to, as I was one of those adolescents who got tagged as a potential danger to my school because I, ohmygawd, loved horror movies/makeup and drew “violent” pictures. Even though I felt that they were just entirely fictional (and artistic!) creative extensions of my imagination, my art teacher felt otherwise. In All About Evil, blatant commentary points to the distinction between such unconstrained creativity and real-world violence. Which, as a forever b-film horror fan, made me really happy.

With so much blood, drag queens, and laughs to spare, this is definitely one I’m owning and re-exposing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!