Skip to main content

Recovery Progress!

At the rate at which I’ve been spoiled throughout this recovery… I’m tempted to come up with excuses for a major surgery every week (not really). Whenever I sit on the recliner chair I obnoxiously whimper: “help. help. help. help.” and my sweet mom will come lift the foot rest for me. Which I quite literally can’t do on my own - but still, she does this for me about a hundred times a day and night. And then places a soft blanket on me. I’m above and beyond lucky to have my parents and kitties and pup here for me.

The other night I woke up around 4 am, as my mom seemingly slumbered in the recliner chair next to mine (which she's doing just to be here for me). I didn’t want to wake her, so I did my best to slowly lean forward and to quietly lower the foot rest (I can lower it, just can’t pull it up). As I stood in the darkness I suddenly heard: “What’re you doing? Where’re you going? What do you need?”

There’s no escaping the radar of a mother, that’s for sure. It’s like I’m post-op James Caan in a really distorted, lovey version of Misery.


My dad got me soy pudding and yogurt, gummy bunnies, split pea soup (for the much-needed pain-killer fighting fiber!), and minestrone soup. I also have seasons 3, 4, and 5 of Dexter, kitty cuddles, video games… this is just, messed up. My parents are pretty much the best care takers ever.

And, again, this recliner chair is awesome. I’ve literally spent pretty much every hour of every day in it since surgery - even to sleep in at night (which is comfortable and also keeps me on my back). It’s so blissful I want to figure out some kind of rent-a-recliner trans recovery suite situation. Oh - and, our family pup, Gany, has been super concerned about my condition and has spent 80% of his time sleeping next to my recliner.

Some grody details - on Thursday night the liquid in my drains was dark red and by Saturday it had become a lighter red. Sunday (yesterday) it looked like apple cider and today it’s a really light red again. My dad has been draining my bulbs at 5pm every day and even went so far as to sniff the fluid yesterday to see if it seemed infected, which it didn’t. He has also been documenting the amount of fluid per drain every day:


I also haven’t showered since Thursday morning.

On another note, I had initially planned, stupidly, to return to work today - which would’ve been impossible. I went out last night for the first time since my surgery with my dad to the grocery store and just walking around the market for 20 minutes had me exhausted.

But, with each new day I require less pain medication and just keep feeling better and more comfortable. My drains and bandages are scheduled to be removed this Wednesday and, after that, I just need to be careful to not twist my torso or reach my arms above my head… dopey crap like that.

p.s. fiber finally conquered pain killer today.

p.s.s. and the support I’ve received from friends has been just, astounding and overwhelming. Thank you everyone. xoxo. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!