Skip to main content

My Summer Vacation

Between preparing for the GRE (standardized test for graduate school admission), doing my summer research project, taking classes, getting my graduate school application materials ready, and so on and so forth 24-consta-7, my poor blog has endured a great deal of neglect. Just fyi, this isn’t a state of perma-neglect. My blog is still alive and thriving and wondrous - just, fasting. On occasion. To detox!

My summer research, by the way, was super rad. I’m just gonna say it. It was. I got IRB approval and recruited almost 400 people from all over the United States and have just begun to go over the results. And, low and behold, although preliminary, I’m discovering some really, reallly interesting stuff. And I have the awesome opportunity to continue this project into my senior year.

My summer vacation thus far consists of waking up every morning at 7:30am on.the.dot. I go to coffee with my pOps, where we go over GRE math stuff. It’s been almost 13 years since I’ve had to dabble in math anything, aside from that one time I took Statistics two semesters ago.

When it comes to all the circles and triangles and shapes Geometry this n’ that? I recall taking Geometry in high school. I also recall that we were never actually taught Geometry. Instead, we spent every class period watching the teacher dance and challenge us to come up with variations of his name. His name was Mac. So, for an hour, we’d come up with variations like, “Mac Daddy”, “Mr.Mac”, “Mac Attack”, “Maclicious”, “Maccy Mac”, and so on. All whilst hanging condoms in the plants that lined the back wall of the room.

So, yeah - bit of a Geometry learning curve here. I’ve been using Khan Academy videos and practice problems to nail those down so they stop slipping me up along the way. Oh, Khan Academy. It’s so magical.

In other school-related boring-to-the-world-but-exciting-to-me news, I’ve been selected as a finalist for the NIH Undergraduate Scholarship Program. The phone interview is this Thursday, and I’m all kinds of giddy and nervous. It’s a really awesome scholarship and opportunity for “students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are committed to careers in biomedical, behavioral, and social science health-related research” that awards scholarship support and paid employment and training at the NIH after graduating.

So.excited. Ohmygawd. ~FIN~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...