Skip to main content

The Bane of Shopping - well, until surgery happened.

Shopping for clothing has never been my top #1 favorite activity of all time in the universe. For as long as I can recall, it’s been an agonizing, everything-fits-funny pain in the schlum. Out of a gazillion + 2 shirts and pants, I’d be lucky to find something that fit right. Either the shirts were too straight or too stretched out or not long enough or - this has been the story for forever and beyond.

Until last Saturday.

Since I had top surgery last August, I haven’t shopped for new clothes. Er, I lie. I have. For multipacks of Hanes t-shirts and underoo’s. But those don’t count.

For months now my dad has been whimpering about having no clothes. And I’ve been wearing the same ol’ white Hanes shirt and shorts combo every single day.

Which is great if you’re Pee Wee Herman, Einstein, or Seth Brundle from The Fly, but. Despite the convenience of only having multiple pairs of one outfit, I finally cracked last Saturday and decided to dupe my father into going on a trip to the new thrift store that just opened up down the street with me.

I anticipated wearily wandering in, checking out a few things, trying some stuff on, having nothing fit proper, getting bored, checking out the VHS section for any horror movies and the women’s section for Christmas sweaters, not finding any, and leaving after about 15 minutes.

But, that’s not how it panned out at all. I grabbed all kinds of crap - see-through shirts, tank tops, sweaters, shorts, jackets, a child’s Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer tie. I spent almost 30 minutes trying everything on.

And almost every shirt I tried fit! And the shorts! And everything looked mega dapper!

My dad and I took turns outside the dressing room, handing clothes back and forth over the door. While I was in there, rapidly throwing shirts on and off, I could hear my dad bantering with a female employee. He said something snide about the quantity of clothing I had been trying on, to which she replied, “I’ve never seen a guy spend so much time in the dressing room!”

The lesson here? Post surgery rocks. And so do see through jersey shirt things.

Comments

  1. Reading a post with hilarious species pic is such an amazing thing. lol, i shop hanes clothing for winter, sweatshirts, tops, sweatpants and socks. All is good:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...