Skip to main content

I SELF-INJECTED!

I just self-injected! Finally! It's been a little over 9 months that I suddenly, for no reason, couldn't self-inject. It was bizarre, because I'd been self-injecting testosterone cypionate into my thigh for almost three years with no fear and very little problems. And then, bam! - I just, couldn't.

Confused and frustrated, I assumed that maybe I was just off my game that week. But then it happened that following week. And the week after. And for over nine months, I've discovered that it's an incredible inconvenience to have to rely on someone else (usually my father) for my injections.

I started to develop additional anxieties around what's going to happen when someone isn't around to help, like when I move to Maryland next summer and don't know anyone who could help. I've also been irrationally hard on myself about it.

I woke up Friday morning determined to do my it myself. I decided not to do it in the morning, when there's a lot of rush and pressure. But, when evening approached, I couldn't bring myself to even try. I decided to put it off until Saturday.

Same deal. I focused on other things and finally succumbed to the belief that it wasn't going to happen.

Then this morning, I decided to really go for it. It took me three needles to get there, but it happened.

On the first attempt, I tried to follow advice from this "Self Injection for Wimps!" video. The speaker suggests that instead of plunging the needle in to the thigh quickly, one can slowly "bounce" the needle through the skin and into the muscle. It bounced. It broke through. And as the needle slid deeper and deeper, my thigh muscle twitched and knocked the needle out.

On my second attempt I chose a different spot on my thigh. But, after the muscle twitch incident, I felt even more reluctant and couldn't get the needle through my skin.
After failed thigh muscle attempts #1 and #2, it occurred to me - why don't I give my buttocks a shot? I'd never tried before and I know it's a popular way for a lot of other fellers to do their intramuscular injection so, let's do it!

Since I had no idea where to inject, I found numerous videos and pictures marking the appropriate injection site and how to find it. Then, off I went to the bathroom. Standing, twisted, and watching in the mirror, I wiped a spot with alcohol, pressed down on it, and then slowly "bounced" the needle in. And, to my surprise, it did go in. Painlessly. Easily. With no muscle twitch. I pulled back on the syringe to make sure that I hadn't hit a vein, and when it came up clear, I injected.

Now failed thigh muscle attempts #1 and #2 are all bruised and angry, but I did it.

I SELF-INJECTED.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...