Skip to main content

Inauguration Day - Woo!

Ding dong the witch is dead! Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch!

Today is an inspiring, refreshing day! Obama being our next President is actually a reality, finally, even though he's taking office amid a dismal economic depression and with the U.S. still immersed in two wars.



In 2000, nine years ago, I had just turned 18. I remember feeling so enthusiastic and giddy to vote for the first time - and in a presidential race, to boot! As we all know, it was in that election that the popular vote had gone to Gore, yet the Electoral College, for the 15th time ever in the history of the United States, voted against the popular will and made George W. Bush President. I remember feeling pretty betrayed and confused.

Then the past 8 years happened. New Orleans was just, ... unbelievable. The unilateral invasion of other countries like we're some kind of theocratic empire with an oil baron king. The raping of our constitution and our civil liberties. Torture. On and on. Essentially, I've felt like a peasant in some kind of horribly embarrassing feudalistic nightmare.

And it's all a lot of us in my generation have known our entire adult lives as United States citizens. To suddenly go from the past eight years to witnessing a historic moment on so many levels is just... yeah, I'm pretty relieved and hopeful.

And guess where I was during Obama's inauguration speech while it was live this morning?

A work meeting.

Yes, you heard me. A work meeting. Where, not only did we have our usual status (which takes about 15-30 minutes), but my boss also conveniently asked two of my co-workers ahead of time to make some PowerPoint presentations for training purposes, which made the meeting last a little over an hour.

Convenient.

The entire time I felt incredibly anxious knowing that, right during this tremendously historic moment, one that will stick with a lot of us til' our ripe old ages, I'm going to remember where I was - a very conveniently timed work meeting. Meanwhile, others in the agency had televisions turned on. I heard that the entire 5th floor, for example, had paused to watch it. I received texts from friends who were watching it in class or at their works. I'm aware that I'm whining, but, really now. IT WAS OBAMA'S INAUGURATION!

Even though I didn't get to watch it live, I've been following it via CNN ever since. Wooo...

"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace."
In other news, the unisex bathroom at my work became a Mens bathroom temporarily earlier today. I noticed when I went to walk in and someone made a comment. I went in and used it anyways (which, admittedly, was uncomfortable to do, especially after someone had made a comment.) Apparently the unisex sign had either fallen off or had been removed, but I found it in the lobby and stuck it back up. Potential future gender confusion crises resolved.

Comments

  1. The only reason that I haven't posted a "GO OBAMA!" entry in my blog is that I knew that everyone else on Earth would do one for me.

    I was able to step out for a moment and watch the inauguration live on CNN in the commons area. Glad I could see it happen. Sorry to hear that you got dicked out of watching it.

    Huzzah for youtube?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kammorremae: It is true that EVERYONE ON EARTH is blogging about this right now. It's impossible to contain the excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not having that much trouble, but that's because the kevlar is form fitting, >.<

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!