Skip to main content

NBC's The Listener: Taking on Trans Youth

Boop... boop.... boop.... look what just popped up on my radar:
NBC's The Listener: Taking on Trans Youth
I've been watching a show on NBC that I haven't heard too much buzz about. The Listener is about a paramedic who can read people's thoughts and uses it to help others. Think "Heroes" without the giant cast and a little more believable (if mind-reading can be believable).

It also doesn't hurt that the lead is easy on the eyes, but that's neither here nor there.

I was catching up on some episodes on the TiVo and was pleasantly shocked at last week's show called "Lisa Says." This particular episode deals with the heavy issues facing trans youth: homelessness, not accepting parents, and lack of medical help. In fact it revolves around a young female to male trans youth, something else that has been rather unheard of on prime-time TV. Read More >
Neat! Since this just barely booped, I haven't watched it yet - but I'm excited to. Apparently the full episode is online here.

I'd watch it now, but it's too late. My eyes are blurring and my brittle, aching bones must be laid to rest. I want to view it while entirely coherent in all its dramatacular glory.



In other radar booping news, earlier this month the Maine Human Rights Commission ruled "that the Orono School Department discriminated against a transgender child by denying her access to the girls bathroom." Wow. Go Maine! Unlike Utah, where a kid can't even wear a kilt to school without being hassled.

Comments

  1. Thanks for the heads up! NBC's site doesn't let me see the episode due to my location --frustrating, but that happens often-- but I found the whole thing on YouTube. I hope this is well done; that would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Russian friend mentioned this the other night when we were at her house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. genderkid: That is frustrating. How lame. I'm glad that you found it on YouTube though. Suckas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kegg: She did? I swear that I listen to our Russian friend. Or at least I think that I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mel, you're so on top of tranny representation! i'm grateful someone is. your blog kicks ass. Patty sent me too you. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of cool shit i have to watch and catch up on.. anyway, Congrats on your transition, man, seems like it's going very very well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. alexdavis: Aw, thanks! I'm glad you're enjoying my transtastic ramble blabber. ;]

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...