Skip to main content

Operation Shine in SLC

On Saturday my friend, Chloe Noble, and her Homeless Youth Pride Walk companion, Jill Hardman, traveled through Salt Lake City on their way to San Francisco to raise awareness about LGBQT homeless youth.

From KSTU:
 


and from the Salt Lake Tribune:

2 women go the extra (thousand) miles
Salt Lake pair trekking across the nation to raise awareness homeless LGBT youths.

It could be an abandoned building or a boarded-up subway terminal, a church courtyard or a covered porch.

All that matters to Chloe Noble is that it's a safe, dry place to sleep at night.

Noble and her best friend, Jill Hardman, are walking across the nation, living on the street, to raise awareness of an alarmingly large segment of the homeless population: lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youths. Read More >
It was a really neat event, particularly in regards to a certain social dynamic that occurred. When I first got there, there were no apparent homeless youth there. But there were a handful of Salt Lake City police officers hovering about.

Homeless youth deterrent, big time.

After speaking to Jude, one of the organizers (the same Jude who spoke to my employers back in the day about being trans-friendly and who also helped me with my 3rd injection!), it turned out that Dell Schanze - better known as Super Dell - made death threats, so the SLC police were around to make sure that everything went down safely.

Not having Super Dell pilot a motorized paraglider into the Pride Center was a good thing but, unfortunately, the presence of police were a huge repellent for terrified homeless youth.

About 30 minutes later, I noticed youth popping up here and there. And then some, who were homeless, spoke and thanked everyone for providing them an audience to express themselves to. As I was leaving, a few of those homeless youth were actually interacting with two of the officers, seemingly feeling safe given the circumstances and having an actual discussion. Not an every day thing to witness. Hope it happens more often. This homeless youth walk seems to be having a really positive, insightful impact, so it just might!

Comments

  1. Hey there.. I am not sure if you are aware but Lynn and I used to be very active with homeless youth. It is even more depressing in Utah where laws ignore the problem in favor of the illusion of happy families which are often terrible abusive situations for some of these kids. Anyway ran across this on my reader and had to comment. Email me if you want more info or to solicit help k? Thanks M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG You are moderating comments! Sore spot with me. Love ya :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, did they ARREST Dell? Because death threats are, shall we say, ILLEGAL?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blake: I do want more info! I'll send you an e-mail post haste! In regards to the moderating, I was getting some really weird ones or spam ones for a bit there - or some (like from family) that would be better kept anonymous. I post them all, always, minus the spam. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kestryl: Hopefully? Or maybe they've had to make a legal exception for him since he probably makes about a hundred death threats a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Everyone! This is Chloe Noble. Thanks Mel, for doing this article. I thought it was awesome too, that SLCPD played it cool at the Shine. At other Shines in other cities the cops actually ran the homeless youth off - BEFORE THEIR SHINE! We had to go find the youth and convince them again that the Shine was really for them. There are a lot of barriers in society keeping these youth separate from humanity. But Utah is a GOOD place to test out new programs and then implement them nationwide. So thats the next step. If you wanna get on board, please email me. noble.echo@gmail.com Thanks for your support! : )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...