Skip to main content

Adrian - transfeminine trans guy

I've been out of commission for about a week now due to a spinal disc herniation. It stems from an accident that I was in when I was 17-years-old. As I was crossing at a crosswalk with a friend, I was hit by a car going ~40 mph. Since then I've experienced chronic back pain. And my back will literally go out, to the extent that I'm unable to walk for about a week, about once or twice a year. Eventually as I regain mobility, I am able to hobble about with a cane.

Today I'm back in action: sitting upright, walking around, scooting, and bicycling!

While down for the count, I got a lot of reading accomplished. One thing I stumbled across was an article in Bizarre Magazine about a trans guy named Adrian.

When explaining my own transition and how I see it as separate from masculinity/femininity or gender altogether, the response is usually a confused one. It's generally understood, it seems, that there are female-to-male and male-to-female transsexuals. As in, one goes from "female" to "male" or one goes from "male" to "female". The language available (FTM and MTF, for example) are limited to that gender notion, even. And yet I sometimes use that terminology just for the sake of getting a message across, even if it's incredibly inaccurate and reinforces a false gender dichotomy (and transsexual experience within it).

I elaborate that, for me, there's a brain-based mismatch. Similarly, my brain is wholeheartedly convinced that I'm an animal who should have two arms, two legs, one head, and stand upright. This is a match. But it's also fine-tuned to my anatomy, which isn't matched. In that particular department, my anatomy is in violation. And it's impossible to ignore and devastating. To clarify, my gender and gender expression are separate from the mismatch. If the mismatch didn't exist in my brain-map, I'd be entirely fine with being a masculine "woman" or going by feminine pronouns. I'd still identify as genderqueer, but primarily for social reasons and to identify outside of a fake gender binary.

Take RuPaul, for example. I'm presuming that he's comfortable with his anatomy; yet he's feminine and loves being colorful and glittery and flamboyant.

And there are numerous women who are comfortable with their anatomy and who love being a lot less colorful, glitter-less, and masculine.

I think of most people are shades of masculine and feminine, exhibited to different extents at different times in different scenarios. People who are men (from RuPaul to Bruce Willis), women, intersex, transsexual...

What a world, what a world.

People are constantly summing up how well I "pass" mostly by how masculine I act or appear. The binary idea of what "man" is and the assumption that I even have the desire to be masculine. It even seems like my level of masculinity legitimizes me as a trans person, for some.

For me, the only reason to "pass" would be for safety. But it's an invalidating term to me - one that implies I'm not legitimate, and "passing" as something that I'm not. Yes, it's interesting to experience new gendered social interactions and to navigate in the world through an increasingly different lens as a visibly gender-conforming person - but all I really, honestly care about is getting progressively closer to fusing my brain-map with my anatomy. To no longer experience such extreme, debilitating dysphoria. And this is irrelevant to how that's perceived by others or how my gender identity is translated.

Which brings me to Adrian. This trans guy who's flamboyant and extremely feminine. He's in Bizarre Magazine because he's entirely confusing to a lot of people, I'm sure. How could someone who was assigned female at birth, who's feminine and "heterosexual", end up transitioning? To me, it makes complete sense. Gender identity/expression are not synonymous with the brain-map/anatomy mismatch. And despite the fact that he doesn't fit into the masculine mold, he's honest enough with himself to transition for his own reasons and to be his happy, gorgeous, awesome self - however that manifests.



Comments

  1. Great post! It's difficult to explain to people who have never understood or experienced the differences between gender and sex what I mean when I say I am a transgender/GenderQueer/Third Gender person. Being masculine identified, does not make me male, and likewise, begin female bodied does not mean I am inherently feminine. It boils down to our societies inability to see sex and gender as two separate and distinct issues. I've seen this problem within the Trans community as well: I tell (other Trans) people I'm Trans and they make assumptions about my sex. Being Trans does not inherently mean I am FtM or MtF (as you said). Sorry, this is a long comment, but I understand where you are coming from. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to laugh at the insistence of the photo captions -- almost every picture was captioned "Adrian before his operation to add a penis."

    ReplyDelete
  3. M.Mae: Very well put!

    And it is entirely true that it comes a lot from the trans community, to. My friend Jay, for example, identifies as transgender/genderqueer and gender variant, and when ze tells someone ze's trans, they automatically respond with something like, "Wow! You pass so well!", as? Uh?

    Thank you for your comment. Not anywhere NEAR too long, fyi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. genderkid: The entire article is 100% hung up on his penis. Obsessed. So is Adrian, though - so I guess it all works out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this! I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately. You summed up what I feel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!