Skip to main content

School and Capitalism: A Love Story

I met with an academic advisor a few days ago to see if there's any realistic, feasible way I'll be able to go back to school. Once upon a time, even setting foot into a college classroom sounded impossible to me. Especially after dropping out of high school in 1999. I don't recall being encouraged to apply for college. Instead, I was introduced on a weekly basis to army recruiters. Who, in turn, could get us into this foreign world of "college".

After dropping out and with few options, I did visit with a recruiter. I was on the verge of signing up, but had just recently decided to go vegan. And I doubted that boot camp would be the most vegan-friendly place.

And then George W. Bush became President in 2000.

I eventually did find my way to Salt Lake Community College and through harassing anyone and everyone who made eye contact with me, I figured out how to get a high school diploma from an alternative high school. And then how to sign up for loans and classes. But the idea of debt terrified me.

Almost everyone I've ever known is buried under a mountain of seemingly insurmountable debt. It's a source of chronic stress. So after taking out loans for a few semesters while continuing to full work, I decided that I could pay for a semester out-of-pocket. I really thought it could work. But it didn't. My grades were frozen and a wall was erected, barring me from continuing. Ultimately, the debt was sold to a collection agency who then doubled the amount owed.

With that door now closed, I continued to work full-time. I put the idea of school out of my mind.

And then I was laid off.

So, a few days ago, I thought, "Alright, so I'm unemployed. Paying off this collection agency feels like an uphill, impossible battle and it accrues interest every month. BUT, I have a 3.87 GPA. There has to be a way to continue college."

Fueled by optimism, I marched on to the community college campus and to an academic advisor. She asked me for my social security number. After I provided it, she apologized and asked for the number again. So I repeated it and she typed it in again. And apologized, and asked for my number one more time. This time, she asked for my name. Confused about if the account that continuously popped up with the name "Melanie" on it was mine, she now realized that it was. And then proceeded to tell me that while she has found my record, she had some bad news. Even with my high GPA, until my debt is paid, school isn't happening.

And so I visited the cashier to figure out how much, exactly, I owed. And how to even contact the collection agency. The cashier asked for my social security number. I told him and when my record popped up on his computer he asked, "So what's your name?", and I replied, "Melanie--..." And then he gave me a number to call.

Capitalism: A Love Story

I watched a documentary called Capitalism: A Love Story the other night. It was great. Michael Moore did such a good job exposing the many unjust and infuriating consequences of Capitalism. But there were also many uplifting aspects, like a U.S. co-op bakery where assembly-line workers make $65,000 a year (so does the CEO) and business decisions are voted on by all employees. I love it.

Capitalism: A Love Story Film Footnotes

Comments

  1. the upside of enrolling in school (even if you have to accrue some debt) is that student health plans are available at moderately affordable rates. Something to consider....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to go back to school, alas I haven't the time to put any effort into looking at classes much less tuition options... scary!

    Either way, you inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melvin, you need to call the financial aid office. The academic advisor won't be able to help, nor will the cashier :)

    Phone: (801)957-4410

    Ask them if you can work with them instead of the collection agency.. chances are no, but it doesn't hurt to ask. If you can pay ANYTHING on the debit with the collection agency, it will stop the interest you are accruing each month. If you tell them, the school, your sad story of why you have the debit and why you can't pay on it, they MAY have a change of heart and remove your debit... That’s what they did for me, but my situation was a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kegg: Who'd a thunk. I'll call first thing Monday AND wander on to campus looking as distraught and scraggly as I can muster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome that even with your name guys are still treating you like a "bro" haha.

    But seriously, if you could get back into school then you'd definitely have to capitalize [side note I still haven't seen M. Moore's film] on student health plans!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a remedey to both employment and tuition problems, if you WORK for a campus, you usually get a certain number of credit hours a semester free. I know I've suggested it before, but I think you were still gainfully employed at that point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!