Skip to main content

If I Ran the Zoo

School has been good socially different for me in many unprecedented ways. My stigmatized identity (queer/transgender) seems to be concealable now, which is strange for me. Prior to going back to school, I have had all of the same friends since starting hormone therapy. So everyone knows that I'm queer. I haven't had a lot of social exposure outside of my friends and family. And now on campus I'm having a lot of consistent exposure to new people. Meaning, I'm very new to this "coming out" scenario. I've decided that I'm going to stick to the policy I've had my entire life - just, being my genuine, open self as though I'm living in a world free of prejudice toward sexual minorities.

Campus LGBQT Group

Last week I found out about an LGBQT student group on campus during the campus club fair. I attended the campus club fair with a group of fellow students, none of whom know that I'm transgender. When I walked up to the LGBQT table to sign up for notifications, I actually felt a twinge of anxiety. That someone might ask me why I signed up for this club and that I would then honestly respond that I'm transgender. No one asked, but later one of the students revealed to me that she was raised LDS (Latter Day Saints) and that she dislikes how "discriminatory the church is."

I was surprised that I felt hesitation, but I'm still adjusting to this whole concealable stigmatized identity scenario. It's very new to me, but I'm getting there.

Animal Research

Fortunately, my neuropsychology professor relayed to me that she does not research on animals. And that's it's possible to get through the neuropsychology undergraduate program without animal experimentation. Which is very, very relieving to me.

The prospect of being in a situation where I'd be expected to experiment on animals almost caused me to self-select out of neuropsychology altogether. When she revealed that she does not partake in animal research, I literally felt my chest release and little stomach butterflies erupt.

Student Government

I'm going to be an employee in student government! I couldn't resist.



The word nerd, by the way, first appeared in a 1950 Dr. Seuss book, "If I Ran the Zoo." The Nerd is drawn as an angry humanoid, with the following caption: "And then, just to show them, I’ll sail to Ka-Troo And Bring Back an It-Kutch a Preep and a Proo A Nerkle a Nerd and a Seersucker, too!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!