Skip to main content

It's a hell of a lot more interesting than what you read about in The Atlantic

Even before I learned the term "gender binary" and understood that it referred to the arbitrary (and thoroughly unscientific) notion that there are only two genders and we must all be one or the other, I knew I didn't fit in. It took years for me to figure out that my not fitting in had less to do with the shape of my body, the pace at which I developed, or my dreams, than it had to do with these ridged and unrealistic ideas of who gets to wear what, and which bathroom door it's okay to walk through. Once I figured that out, things became clearer, but no easier. Ignorance may not be bliss, but knowledge is also no ticket to happiness. And so, as I do at least once or twice a month, I found myself staring at a magazine cover, shaking my head, and trying to reconcile the world I'm reading about with the one I'm living in. One thing I can say for being aware of your own and others experience and living in this world. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than what you read about in The Atlantic.
~ Cory Silverberg

Comments

  1. Hi, today is a beautiful day in my life. I saw a first snow in this year and I save this photo for all people in the World!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really interesting article. Hope to see same more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...