Skip to main content

New Years!

I celebrated New Years Eve this year by relaxing indoors with friends. I stuffed my face with fried vegan chick'n and mashed potatoes while watching 1,000 Ways To Die marathon on Spike TV. I took the bus down to my friend Jude's place to spend it with her and her girlfriend, Shannon, and her roommate, Shannon. No driving or bicycling on New Years. No way.

The dinner and marathon concept dawned on me the year before last while I was at a more traditional New Years Eve party where I opted to slide off to the bathroom at 11:55 and lock myself in at midnight. While sitting there with a headache creeping on, I decided right then and there, "Next year, I'm staying in."

The fact that I got sick afterwards sealed the deal. And this year the roads are all plastered in ice. The local news reported the morning after that there were a slew of accidents and that three people died in three separate crashes just hours apart. So yeah, the drunkest night of the year + ice ='s stay in with Jude, Shannon, and Shannon watching the 1,000 Ways To Die marathon while eating delicious food near a warm fire in cozy blankets.

Once Shannon and Shannon dozed off pre-midnight, Jude and I held in there with the movie Body Double, which includes a scene in it thanks to Frankie Goes to Hollywood that very well might be my childhood root. I was obsessed with this scene. Not as obsessed as I was with Willow, Tales From The Crypt or Evil Dead 2, but pretty up there:



At the time I didn't quite realize why this scene was so mesmerizing and wondrous. It just was. Just like the 80s - the era of gaytastic House music, androgyny and progress with queer rights until the discovery of AIDS and the Christian Right using that tragedy as a homophobic campaign tactic to condemn homosexuals for it.

I hope everyone had a fun n' great New Years!

Comments

  1. I love 1,000 Ways to Die! I haven't seen it in ages. My favorite is probably the one where these two teenage guys beside to take drinking straws, stick them up their noses, and snort fire ants. Some people...

    Happy New Years Dex!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

PART 1: Double Incision Mastectomy with Nipple Grafts by Dr. Cori Agarwal Surgery Photos (EXTREMELY GRAPHIC)

Earlier today I learned that Dr. Cori Agarwal’s medical secretary would come in to take photographs during my 3 hour surgery on August 11, 2011. As a warning, these photos are extremely graphic , but also incredibly informative and educational. This is why I’m displaying them after the “read more” button below instead of as a photo gallery. Extremely Graphic:

Exciting News from Utah!

Exciting things are happening in Salt Lake City, Utah! Last night there was a panel specifically about employment discrimination based on gender identity and a proposed diversity bill. It received a fair amount of media coverage, like this article in the Salt Lake Tribune: After losing her job, transgender Utahn fights workplace discrimination Salt Lake City resident Candice Metzler wanted to let her work colleagues see the transition she already had begun in her personal life. Known to them as a man, Metzler wore mascara, eyeliner and white-tipped acrylic nails to a company barbecue. Read more > or this coverage from Fox 13: link no longer available It's refreshing to see that there's friendlier coverage of transgender people, even in such a conservative GOP state. The above coverage even ended with: "if you're an employer open to hiring transgender individuals" there's a link on their site to DiversityJobs.com ! Just 6 months ago the bills und

Viddy Documentation: 39 Days

If blogging is out of my element, photo documentation is even further out in the element ball park. What's on an another planet altogether is video documentation. Still, here's the thang. My voice just started cracking a couple of weeks ago and I want to catch it while it's high pitch central and to be able to look back on that change later down the road. Since the thickening of my vocal chords will be very gradual, I'm going to record my voice every so often to document that change. Here goes!