Skip to main content

Doctor Update and Foster Puppies

Real quick: December 11th will be my one year tranniversary!

I had a doctor appointment earlier this week. I was worried because this was my first appointment while not having health insurance. I called beforehand and was assured that she had a flat rate for non-insured patients that I could pay at the appointment. So I saved up, arrived, she sent me off to get my blood work done.

I haven't heard about the results yet, but will hopefully know by tomorrow. When I go in for a prescription refill the pharmacist is supposed to give my doctor a call and will adjust my dosage depending on the results. I've been on the exact same dosage all year, so ... I'll see if it changes or not.

Foster Puppies

Earlier this month a friend of mine who works at the Salt Lake County Animal Shelter called me about an emaciated pitbull dog with five little puppies. Without foster care, all of them (especially the puppies) will not make it in the shelter. Two had already died. She asked if I could be a foster home in the event the foster she'd found fell through.

I called my roommates and they approved of my accepting to be a Plan B Foster. One week later, I got a call saying that the initial foster parent had been caught hitting the mom and so they were taken away and brought to my place.

All of the puppies are 5 weeks old. And they are A LOT of work. For various survival-related reasons, the mom dog (Emma - who is only about a year old herself) is skin and bones and has been trying to survive herself. So she hasn't entirely bonded with her babies and won't nurse them consistently.

I've had them for a week now and all of them are gaining weight. They're also much more active. They'll be ready for new homes in no time! One of the pups has been struggling with some kind of respiratory issue, but after I introduced a humidifier to the bathroom (which is now a puppy incubator), he has been doing much better.

Here is my foster co-parent, Jude, being ravaged by the more-energetic-every-day puppies:





Comments

  1. Hey "Anonymous"! You posted:

    "Such a cute pic of the puppies and Jay.

    I love your Doctor!"

    Thanks for the post. They're way cute! I removed it and re-posted just to respect Jay's privacy by not using hiz real name. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh they are so cute!


    who agrees to foster a dog and her babies and then hits the mom? sheesh :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...