Skip to main content

Back to the Future

I feel like I'm living in a warped Back to the Future bubble reminiscent of Marty McFly and Doc Brown.

Here I am living in a social reality where I'm generally read/treated as a young cisgender male in his early 20s. I'm taking Drivers Ed and getting my drivers license for the first.time.ever. I'm resuming college alongside people who are actually in their late teens, after originally dropping out of high school and then experiencing a four-year frozen academic record hiatus.

I'm experiencing a slew of puberty-ridden foreign shenanigans that have me surprising myself and learning new things on a daily basis. And the hormone acne onslaught is a constant aesthetically pleasant reminder.

I even have the less-plushy blue version of Marty McFly's ridiculous life vest.

And aviators.

And a semi-fluffy 80s-esque hair-do.

And incredibly plush, cozy sneakers.

BUT! I bicycle! I do not skate board! So, at least I have that going for me.

It's an interesting experience, big time. I'm registered for my Fall classes now, so I'm excited to experience new peer interactions - in other words, how my interactions/experiences will differ in comparison to my college days prior to hormone therapy.

I already have the campus counselor location sought out. And the campus health services. And the LGBQT campus group.

All of this Back to the Future talk has reminded me of an incredibly mature video my dad pointed me towards:


Even my sense of humor has regressed. Take notice that this video is from a website called "College Humor". Oh boy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...