Skip to main content

Mr.Trans Man 2010

Something downright transtastic occurred this past weekend in Brooklyn - a transman showdown:


, from host Murray Hill and Original Plumbing publisher Amos Mac.



The show sold out in advance.

SF hip-hop artist Katastrophe and queer Brooklyn band Inner Princess performed; and there were a slew of contestants who competed in platform, swimsuit, "realness," talent, and evening-wear categories in front of the judges Our Lady J, Kate Bornstein, Amos Mac, *Bob*, Glenn Marla and Susan Hair.

And thus, on April 25th, the first-ever "Mr.Transman" was crowned - slam poet Kit Yan won the title. He got some cash and will be appearing in an upcoming spread in Original Plumbing. There was also an FTM beauty pageant at the Knitting Factory in Williamsburg, hosted by Murray Hill; a nightlife personality who has hosted the city’s Miss Lez Pageant for the past nine years.



Murray Hill said in an interview about the event,

"I tell the kids, ‘When I was your age, we had butch and femme and that was it.’ Now, the queer scene is much more diverse than it has ever been,... The Transman competition is truly a direct response to there being almost no visibility of this group in our society.”

I can't wait to attend Mr. Transman 2011!

Comments

  1. hi there mel.
    i've just start to read your blogs couple of days before.
    it's full of info that i really want to know about ftm.
    i salute you for your boldness to do the transition.
    wish i had it too.
    btw, gudluck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neekole: I want to! Since my one performer talent is unicycling, I may just compete in the beauty pageant. I'll get my speedo ready. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  3. RieZachry: Thanks, Rie! I wish that I could read yours! ;P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...