Skip to main content

Intimacy and Neurological Disconnect

Not to beat on my own lackadaisical wah drum, but I stopped being intimate with other people for some time before I started hormone therapy in December of 2008. Since my first dabblings in nitty-gritty-ville when I was 18, I’d been be intimate, albeit uncomfortably. With each passing year living female-bodied, that “uncomfortable” escalated to “extremely uncomfortable” and then to “gah! no more! enough!”. The whole shindig became way too depressing as the sensory signals from the deep recesses of my noggin screeched louder and louder, “Disconnect! Disconnect!”

It got to the point that even imagining intimacy made my stomach turn with anxiety (and still does). Just knowing that being touched made my body impossible to ignore would trigger a whole slew of mopey. Every time I met someone and tried, thinking that I could handle it, I couldn’t. What would start out as something simple would be overtaken by the neurological disconnect, and my body would just entirely shut down. I’d subsequently feel vulnerable, embarrassed and ashamed - and then would spiral into feeling awful for weeks.

Before going to my first therapy session I’d decided to be abstinent for the most part, rather than having to deal with the health risks and expense of transition. But that also made me sad - so, therapy it was.

The thing is, even though I’ve reveled in the changes that have come from hormone therapy thus far, I still haven’t been able to move past this particular aspect of my social reality without surgery.

If there’s even the prospect of potential intimacy, I’ve noticed that I distance like crazy and avoid it at all costs.

Without it I am at least able to focus on all of the soothing changes happening to my body overall - to just, neurologically connect to the level that I can currently for the first time in my entire life and to bask in it. Throughout, I’ve done my best to push the idea of physical intimacy out of my mind.

Until I set an actual date for my top surgery appointment.

With only $1,555 left to save up, the reality that my surgery is actually going to happen hasn’t set in. And I doubt it will until weeks or months after healing. I’m so.excited to know that it’s actually going to happen. The neurological benefits are just, unimaginable right now. My brain map will fit the landscape. And, from there, I will be able to work on the residual anxiety associated with intimacy and my confidence will inevitably increase through the fusion.

I can’t stop thinking about it. And to imagine what it will feel like to finally, actually experience physical intimacy without being haunted by a neurological disconnect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...