Skip to main content

Queers? Gore? Elvira? SOLD. All About Evil @ the Damn These Heels LGBT Film Fest!

Just saw the Salt Lake City premiere of a dark comedy called All About Evil as part of this weekend’s Damn These Heels LGBQT film festival - and oooooh was I amused. The official synopsis-
All About Evil is a wicked black comedy set in the world of a horror movie about a mousy librarian (Lyonne) who inherits her father’s beloved but failing old movie house. In order to save the family business she discovers her inner serial killer – and a legion of rabid gore fans – when she starts turning out a series of grisly shorts. What her fans don’t realize yet is that the murders in the movies are all too real!
Upon walking in to the theatre my chums and I were greeted by two “evil twins” in drag donning sexy red bellhop costumes. They were completely in-character with scowls across their faces, silent and solemn, as they handed out little Dixie cups (this made sense after watching the film).

Then, the director, Joshua Grannell, arrived on stage as Peaches Christ - his epic drag queen alter ego:


… with an uber queer Salt Lake City entourage in monster costumes, including one of my most favorite trans activists ever, Princess Kennedy. They performed the following opening bit, which is essentially the storyline of the movie:

(This is from the Castro premiere. Same song and similar performance so you get the gore gore gist of it; but when and if the SLC version appears, I’m replacing this!)

And then the lights dimmed and the movie began. It was a straight up celebration of B-horror movies and their devoted legions of followers (like me!) and it also celebrates independent single screen theaters, like the one we watched it in - The Tower Theatre in Salt Lake City, Utah.

In the end I knew, for sure, that All About Evil is way up there on my list of favorite gonna-be-a-cult-classic rompy horror comedies ever. It’s a campy stampede of blood, boobs and gore that’s entirely a horrored out homage to John Waters.

I loved it - particularly creepy old Mr. Twigs, played by Jack Donner (widely known as Romulan Subcommander Tal in the original Star Trek). Also super fond of the fact that Cassandra Peterson (better known as Elvira!) made a prominent appearance as the concerned mother of a son who is obsessed with horror movies. She is my favorite vegan babe ever.


The horror-obsessed son was a sub-plot to the whole shindig that I related to, as I was one of those adolescents who got tagged as a potential danger to my school because I, ohmygawd, loved horror movies/makeup and drew “violent” pictures. Even though I felt that they were just entirely fictional (and artistic!) creative extensions of my imagination, my art teacher felt otherwise. In All About Evil, blatant commentary points to the distinction between such unconstrained creativity and real-world violence. Which, as a forever b-film horror fan, made me really happy.

With so much blood, drag queens, and laughs to spare, this is definitely one I’m owning and re-exposing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...