Skip to main content

The Outlier

My apologies in advance for what will probably be my most boring blog post yet - but, ya know, it happens. It’s only bound to get worse.

Anyway, whenever we do in-class surveys in my Statistics class I’m always the “outlier” (illustrated in picture over this way —>). Every time for whatever reason I’m surprised; probably because I live in an oblivious bubble on planet trans zot. More on that later.

We received the following three survey questions:
  1. What is your college GPA?
  2. What was your high school GPA?
  3. What is your gender?
The moral? To compare the differences. In the land of highschool, I received all D's and F's and ultimately dropped out, so I answered “1.0”. But in college, I'm doing well.

(sidenote: I actually just learned that I’m in the upper 10% a few weeks ago when I was initiated into a national honors society called Alpha Chi. My impressions of college “initiations” prior included something like spanking or drunken branding - but I only had to dress fancy, recite a pledge, and hold a candle. I didn’t blog about this when it happened because it’s all fresh and bizarre and I’m adjusting to college and recognition stuff and wearing suits and whatnot.)

Anyway, my answer was so polar opposite from the rest of the class that the professor literally removed it to run statistics again. The frak. I’m posting a picture not to gloat, but to visually illustrate what I’m referring to here:


See? And this has happened on every.single class survey.

In regards to the gender question, earlier in the semester I went my own way and ignored the male/female (0,1) binary shindig and added a third gender category (2). But, alas, it took more time and as I’ve become lazier and more broken nearing the end of this semester, I swallowed what’s left of my pride and just went with “male”.

But on an adorable note, the professor recalled that gender rebel antic and apologized to the class in advance for not adding the third gender category. Oh, and I did super good on our last exam. Oh, and the semester is almost over. And I can’t wait to hole up for three days playing video games and festering in my own isolated recovery rot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...