Skip to main content

Pride Weekend 2012!

Guess who got to see Yara Sofia over pride weekend? THIS GUY.
For those who live in the tragic drag-less dark, Yara Sofia won the Miss Congeniality award on season three of RuPaul’s Drag Race. She was, by far, my favorite - due to being all super sweet, mega-talented, and overall adorable.

Anyway, I blame school - but, I had no idea that she was coming to Salt Lake City until Saturday night. Prior to this knowledge, I had resolved to learn from experience and save up my finite supply of elder energy for the Sunday morning Pride Parade and all.day.long festivities. In years past, pride weekend has always been a blur of gaggle o’ faggle sleep deprivation that I end up paying for all day Monday. That was the plan - until Aaron texted me: “Yara Sofia will be at Metro tonight.” Well, he actually texted “Sofia Yara” - but, close enough. I got the gist.

One part of me thought of the exhaustion, the overwhelming crowds of loud, drunken hot messes. But, the other part of me thought, “Yara Sofia.” And thus, it was settled. Off we went to the Metro, with me as the designated DD.

I had so much fun. First, I met an individual there who I had gone to elementary, junior high, and high school with. To my surprise, he had a Return of the Living Dead (ROTLD) tattoo sleeve. ROTLD is, by far, the best zombie film ever fathomed! And 80s horror, in general, is my achilles’ heel. And on the other arm? Elvira. I generally don’t get excited about tattoos, but this one sparked oodles of 80s horror chitter chatter.

When Yara Sofia appeared on stage I had somehow managed to land a sweet, sweet spot right up front. Where it then dawned on me that given the weakness of old, I’d forgotten my camera. Aaron got some good pictures and video from directly behind me, though. Swooooon:
And here I am, up front, all immersed in her presence. Wow. One friend referred to my expression as the, “epitome of a slack-jawed yokel”. I really can’t argue.

Oh, and here’s a cute one of Gina and I are the Miss City Weekly pageant that kicked off pride weekend. I’m sure that she’s a real big fan of this photo, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...