Skip to main content

DC Birthdays n' Mother's Day Vacation

My parents visited me here in Maryland last Wednesday for mother's day, my dad's birthday (May 11), and for my birthday (May 15)! This was the first time my mom had ever been on a commercial airline and the furthest she's ever traveled from Utah. She was all anxious about potential motion sickness, the cabin pressure, and so on, but ended up sleeping the entire way. All went well and they arrived safe n' sound!

This past week has been so.much.refreshing.fun. Vacation time with my parents is a rarity, and I almost didn't think it would be possible to get them out here. But it was, and it happened. We have been on a few road trips near Utah together, but never further than California. And right now I have this incredibly unique opportunity to live in Maryland, which makes it the most affordable time for my cute parents to experience DC and this humid, foresty wonderland.

Seriously. The trip took my parents from the usual arid world we're used to in Utah:


To this:

My cute parents at Mount Vernon.

Yeah. There's a bit of a difference.

Overall, I'd never witnessed my mom trek around so much. On day one, she spent over three hours conquering the National Museum of Crime & Punishment.

Ted Bundy's car at the Crime Museum.

Uh oh, my mom got arrested at the Crime Musem!

Hey, Utah made it into the Crime Museum!

My mom learning all about forensics!

The guy in the center really, really looks like my Uncle Blaine.
By day two, her shoes weren't cutting it and she was getting toe blisters. But after we grabbed her a cheap pair of sneakers, nothing could stop her! She trekked and trekked, and then trekked some more. To more museums and street markets and restaurants. To anywhere and everywhere DC has to offer.

Bats!
So much greeeen at Mount Vernon.

The White House was a DC necessity.
Uh oh, my dad found the cosmic ray plaque.
We did take a trip to Virginia to witness Mount Vernon, the plantation home of George Washington (which is "just" 500 of the 69,605 acres he owned by the time he died. WHAT?). This was a necessity, given that the whole plantation thing never made it to the ol' wild west that is Utah. And honestly, it was bizarre. Fascinating, but bizarre. We made sure to go on the slave tour, which was really good. Of course, the guide was extremely careful as I'm guessing it's a potentially explosive topic. She did mention Oney Judge, but nothing about George Washington signing the 1793 Fugitive Slave Act. I should note here that Drunk History did an episode about Oney Judge that may have been a more accurate portrayal of George Washington than 96.4% of what I saw at Mount Vernon.

Overall, this week was so much fun and I can't wait to be reunited with my amazing family again this August.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TrannySaurus Rex: Take 2

Transtastic shirt that my friend, Nick James , made for my birthday. Thank you, Nick!

Political Trananigans

The political trananigans I've discovered in Utah are vast and abundant. Just the other night, for example, I attended a trans-specific lobbyist training that was presented by Equality Utah and we had another transtacular activist meeting. Go red state go! I decided to go to this training since, well, the prospect of lobbying has always been an intimidating one to me. Not just because it sounds very foreign and daunting, but, on another level, I’ve worried that my presence would do more damage to a cause I care about than aid it just due to being gender variant and having a more non-LDS-looking appearance. Even if I spruced up, I’d worried that an LDS (Latter-day Saints/Mormon) representative, for example, wouldn’t be able to relate to me in any way, shape, or form and could even be afraid of me. I feared that it would be an entirely ineffective – even potentially damaging – experience. I’ve been feeling differently about this lately, though. On one level, being out has boos...

Institutionalized Sexism & Family Lovins with a Sprinkle of Woe

A few weeks ago my grandpa called and invited me to play on the extended family softball team. I've felt a little nervous in regards to writing about extended family, but I'm going to convey my perceptions and feelings as clearly as I can, while respecting anonymity! I've mentioned my cute little ol' grandparents here a few times - about how they're both refreshingly supportive of me, especially given the generational barriers between us. My cousins n' aunts n' uncles n' whatnot have also been good, in general, when it comes to being friendly and respectful towards me and my partners. I don't get to interact with them all too often and when I do it's usually maybe a few times a year around the holidays. They interact with one another a great deal, however - presumably due to having more in common (most are married, have children, etc.) All n' all, I feel super uber fortunate to have the support and acceptance that I DO have. It's es...